Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Recessed Lights

Nearly 2 years ago, Duke Energy had reduced priced LED bulbs of several varieties -- I purchased 7 Philips 10.5 watt BR30 dimmable LED flood lamps (2700 K, 720 lumens) that I used to replace 7 Sylvania 65 watt BR30 Floods in cans in my kitchen. They cost less than $6.00 each. I did not need to change the dimmer on the circuit and now enjoy more light that can be dimmed to near zero without going orange -- plus using 1/7 the wattage. I also bought a number of 10 watt LED bulbs and some 5 watt ones ($3 each) for use out doors for walkway lights.

I've done that in my office successfully...they are newer fixtures and were compatible with LED as a replacement for the Halogen lamps that originally inhabited them. (MR16) I was unable to do this in our kitchen and eating area...the fixtures are too old and the LEDs constantly flickered. I have to stick with the MR16 in the units that are in the eating area. Those in the kitchen, I replaced the whole fixtures earlier this year with standard 4" cans and screw in LED lamps. The light is nice, but the downside is they interfere with the radio. I don't normally listen while cooking, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Retro kits

https://www.amazon.com/WAC-Lighting-...c+lighting+ledPeter,

I'm the lead (master) electrician at a university in Northern Minnesota. Over the past several years we have done extensive lighting retro projects. For recessed retros, we've had the best success with these retro kits in the 3000k range. These things are awesome for the price.

41rwICb0a6L.jpg

In my kitchen I replaced 9 BR30 incandescent lamps in existing ceiling cans with BR30 LED lamps of about 8 watts each (650 Lumens, 3000K) from Costco. Also installed Lutron 3 way switches with one having the slide dimmer that is also range adjustable under the cover.

Even though checking the dimmer and light bulb manufacturer's web sites for compatibility, the LED lights often strobed when turned on. I tried changing the dimmer switch to no avail. Then I removed one of the LED lights and installed a different brand LED 30BR lamp (GE with 700 Lumens) in the circuit. No more strobing and I am happy.

Sam's Club dimming LED bulb from GE 10watt 700 lumens. LED10DR303/827W

Guessing the temp is 2700K.

Running on the dimmer switch that was already there. Installed 12/2/15.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery