Thread: Vacuum chuck pump?

Vacuum chuck pump?

I have a PM3520B lathe and want to get it set up with a vacuum chuck. So I am studying vacuum chuck installations and the heart of the system, the vacuum pump.

So I am looking for pump recommendations. Of course I have found this Gast 1/4hp pump (mdl 0523) that seems to be a solid performer and is quiet. It is widely available and the best price I have found is $341 delivered.
    gast vp.JPG

I am sure there are many options out there, so please share your experience with me.

I got a used Gast pump on ebay for less than $200 shipped, and it appears to be basically unused. Others have claimed to have gotten even better deals.

The gast pumps are quiet, don't require oil changes, and are built for the sort of continuous, heavy-duty use that's intended here. No reason to go with anything else, IMO (of course).

Joe Woodworker has a site with plans and parts to build your own vacuum pump in a kit form. The individual pumps run between $108 and $330.

Steve

Before you go too far down the rabbit hole you should check out the Frugal Vacuum Chuck setup (google)...it might save you some time.

I've got a couple of pumps. The Gast you pictured is commonly available as surplus on the secondary market - these are often new pumps, just surplus to operations or retired from backup service for one reason or another. They're used in hospitals and clinics, among other places, so they're quiet and dependable. I found one a few years ago on Ebay that was brand new, unused for $85 plus shipping. Surplus sales also gets them once in a while. The key is to keep checking and not to be in too much of a hurry unless you are willing to pay for new. They're rated for continuous duty and rebuild kits (for the seals and vanes) are readily available and relatively cheap. At the rate most turner's use them, they seldom need rebuilding, but if you're buying used it doesn't hurt to have one handy when it's needed.

That said, you can find the Reichle Thomas (sp?) rocking piston style pumps for a very good price. These are rated for continuous service and often used as aeration pumps in water systems. I picked up a used one on Ebay for $35.00 that has served me well first as a pump for chucking, now since I got the Gast, I use it with a carving mount on my bench. It doesn't peg the gauge like the Gast does, but it works very well and is very quiet, too. The Frugal systems are often built on these, I think. I'm going to try using it with a vacuum bag for flat work if I ever get around to doing any...Vince at Veneer Supplies sells this style along with the parts and pieces for vacuum systems. He's got good plans for a complete system there, too.

Diaphram pumps are also available - I don't have any experience with them, but JT Turning Tools sells them with their systems. They also sell a manifold block, the best vacuum adapter on the market, and a vacuum chuck hub that allows you to interchange different sizes of PVC adapters to make chucks from 2" to 6" easily. JT's stuff is very well machined and works beautifully.

Whatever you do, in my opinion, stay away from pumps that require oil like those used to service HVAC systems. They do pull a vacuum, can often be found cheap on the used market, but you'll spend way too much time and energy trying to find a way to keep the oil mist from invading your workshop. Might be good for the cast iron tables, though.

I'm with Peter, so +1 for the Frugal VC. I bought one at SWAT last year and love it! Everything needed in the box, I had mine up and running in under 30 minutes! Very easy to set up, use, disassemble, etc.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    I got a used Gast pump on ebay for less than $200 shipped, and it appears to be basically unused. Others have claimed to have gotten even better deals.

The gast pumps are quiet, don't require oil changes, and are built for the sort of continuous, heavy-duty use that's intended here. No reason to go with anything else, IMO (of course).
    Yep, I'm one those that got an even "better deal" from Ebay on what arrived as a brand new, never opened, Gast pump. These are made to last for much longer than we can use them on our vacuum chucks.

I just "upgraded" from a Venturi setup to the Frugal. Wow! Very quiet and powerful. It is a wonderful new world.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rose View Post
    I just "upgraded" from a Venturi setup to the Frugal. Wow! Very quiet and powerful. It is a wonderful new world.
    I have had my Frugal for a couple of years and "quiet" happy. It does make a little chugging noise when pulling a "good" vacuum but that is great for me. It is when the noise decreases due to a bad seal or leak due to hole or crack that gets my attention better than looking at the vacuum gauge. I give it high marks for the simple system it is. Homemade chucks also have worked well for me.

Thanks folks for the feedback. I opted for a used Gast via ebay. I should have it in hand next week sometime and hope it turns out to be okay from a condition viewpoint. We shall see!

Now on to the other studies in terms of picking out a vacuum adapter and chuck hub system. I will seek a little help on that via a separate post.