Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cut Out in middle of plywood

If the piece is large enough, then the plunge cut with the guided saw is the ticket for a clean edge. If you do need to go the jigsaw route, I'd still do it guided, either with a plank or if you have it, the Festool jugsaw and track. Cutting "straight" with a hand-held jigsaw isn't an easy thing to do...

One other option...rough cut proud with the jigsaw and then use a pattern bit in a route with a guide to clean up the edge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schroeder View Post
    What about cutting a piece the size of the opening minus a router bit and collar, double stick tape it to the blank in the right place, and rout around it with the collar against the template? It seems a spiral down bit would keep the outside edge clean and the inside edge, if any tear out, would be covered by whatever you use to cover the edges. It still needs some chisel work at the corners to square them up, and would likely require a couple passes around the template at successively greater depth with the router. Rout the long edge near the back of the cabinet first to minimize stress on that thin piece, and if you could do it on top of a piece of foam insulation or other material that can support the whole piece it seems it should come out pretty clean.
    This is exactly how I would do it. You can make the template so you are routing inside, or cut a rectangle the size you need plus the bit/bushing and rout around the outside of it, securing it temporarily with double stick tape. I lay a piece of sacrificial 1/4" mdf under the cut area to protect the work table. A small hand saw and file will square up the corners. If you like using a chisel for this then use a chisel.
    Last edited by Glenn de Souza; 08-31-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Man I love this place!!

Lots of wonderful ideas that I hadn't thought of. I'm going to go with the track saw tonight after work. I'll post pics of the results.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    A plywood blade in my Porter Cable 314 trim saw with a straight edge is how I would do it. There is one that lives in one of my closets.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-01-2016 at 9:28 AM.

Great responses - I agree with NOT doing the drop-over-blade-plunge trick on the T-saw, even though I have this tens of thousands of times over the past 30 years (I used to make a lot of picture frames from plywood and MDF). The T-saw plunge trick is so fast and easy, leaving a nearly perfect edge, so if anyone is ever tempted to do this, do as was suggested by simply raising the blade through the panel while holding it down tight, then push, then lower blade. I have often switched out the 10" blade for a sharp 7-1/4" blade in order to get a closer corner cut, and it is slightly safer. Then simply jig-saw out the panel, and chisel the corners.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Plunge cut track saws are perfect for this cutout. I've done it many times with ease and precision. Finish up with hand saw.

Wow...this went extremely well and was pretty fast and I'm quite pleased with the results. Only on one corner did I get a bit overzealous with pushing the saw just a tad far.

cutout1.jpgcutout2.jpgcutout3.jpgcutout4.jpgcutout5.jpgcutout6.jpg

Gluing up the first piece of edging.
    cutout7.jpg

Beautiful job, Chris!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What is the purpose of the side opening?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Terlet* paper storage!

Next to the vanity is the terlet.

* - On the John Bridge Forum, the tile setters there use terlet in place of toilet. I always found that rather amusing.

Chris,
    FWIW- when faced with internal cutouts or corners in plywood, I use my tracksaw and then finish the corner cut with a Japanese Plywood Pullsaw from Lee Valley. This saw is made for cutting ply and sells for about $40, well worth not dulling my other hand saws and it completes the cut leaving very little tuning.

shark_pullsaw.jpg

I used one of these to cut the panel out; worked quite well. I sharpened up my "all around" 3/4" chisel and it did make quick work of the corner cleaning them quite nicely if I do say so myself.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Slow learner?
    Nope. Just had to show his co-workers how it happened for the shop safety film.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    You could also plunge cut on a table saw and then finish the corners with a hand saw.
    I would prefer to plunge cut with a circular saw. Much less chance of a kickback.

Steve