Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Those proud of their workshops, please post pics!

"
    That's a slick add-on to your slider, I'm guessing it lets you rip a full sheet?"

It allows for mounting a clamp.

I've been working on trying to either build or buy a steel warehouse building that I can do wood working in and store trailers and such. Looking into a commercial property that I can rent out later down the line as income. It seems like the issue is if I'm not running a business then they don't want me in a commercial/industrial building. I actually think an industrially zoned building would fit what I'm trying to do better. Something around 4-5000 sq ft with 4 bay doors in front to easily back trailers into. Then possibly rent a small portion of it out to cover costs.

waaaaaaait just one minute. Are you using the beams to hold lumber? THAT'S BRILLIANT!!!! (and thanks for the idea)
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I've been working in my 20x45 house addition shop for a few months new and am pleased with it!

Most of the floor is a floating 2x4 construction with loose-lay vinyl thrown on top. 1/2" plywood walls. Those seem to be the two most common decision points around shop design!

For those interested there is more detail on HVAC, electrical, and lighting here: https://tracezero.net/woodworking/shop/

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work, looks good

That's a beautiful space, David!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful space...it looks so open a bright.

I haven't been on the creek for a while, but maaaaaaaan quite a few nice posts!

Keep sharing everybody!
    I'll be hopefully revamping my workshop this year.

Lots of really nice workshops... but folks, - these are mostly pro shops, or semi-pro with aspirations...
    I'd love to some small shops... 150- 250 sq.ft. or so... like what's available in an average condo... or somthing..

Quote Originally Posted by Halgeir Wold View Post
    Lots of really nice workshops... but folks, - these are mostly pro shops, or semi-pro with aspirations...
    I'd love to some small shops... 150- 250 sq.ft. or so... like what's available in an average condo... or somthing..
    Here's a small shop for you.

lego_woodturning.jpg

I've had four "hobby" shops, not counting my first: radial arm saw, sabre saw, and ROS on the porch of a small house, covered with tarps in case of blowing rain!
    At my second house I build a gigantic 16x16 shop - lathes, bandsaw, radial arm saw, planer, lots of small tools. Barely room to walk.
    Before and while I was building my current shop I crammed everything into 1/2 a 2-car garage. Some tools were stored on big shelves in other side of the garage. It was so tight that when a friend came over one of us had to go outside so the other could get to the primary lathe!
    I wasn't particularly "proud" of any of those, certainly no photos fit for a thread entitled "Those proud of their workshops, please post pics!"

If looking for ideas on setting up a shop in a small space, there are lots of books. FWW has had several special publications about shops and small shops. One shows tiny shop, some mobile in trailers, RVs, some with fold down spaces. I have this book, good for ideas: https://www.amazon.com/Small-Woodwor.../dp/1561586862
    First, what kind of shop? Some of the articles I've seen on very small woodworking shops are about specialty shops: chairmaking with hand tools, instrument making, carving, woodturning of course. Use of mobile bases is common for larger tools. Electrical power may be a limitation in some spaces.

Perhaps even of more interest to some would be floor plans with storage, tool placement. Maybe someone with an effective tiny shop will start a new thread "Happy with your small shop? Post pictures! And floor plans!" I've seen some nice things that came from tight and tidy small shops, sometimes done entirely with hand tools.

When I first moved here I had my shop in a 16' x 20' section of my house, what is now the living room. In it were a 16" jointer and planer, 10" tablesaw with 48" rip fence, 36" bandsaw, 3/4" spindle shaper, 10" radial arm saw and a 6' workbench. To plane or rip a long board (10') I had to open a door to the kitchen or outside. Thim was the days, Mister Dooley. Sorry, no pictures. It instilled a discipline for organization and cleaning up that has stuck with me.

We purchased our new place about a year ago and I started working on the pole shed almost immediately. Just being a tin shell, it magnified the heat in the summer and was as cold as the outside in the winter. I began with 1 1/2 inch foam board, then furred out the walls for batt insulation. I then sheathed and painted. I had "professionals" come in and spray the ceiling and they did an ok/good job. I then had a ductless mini-split put in and it was an excellent decision. With the Minnesota temperature shifts, the mini-split works a treat during the summer and so far has done excellently to keep the shop at about 60F this fall. It won't be able to handle the weeks of -20 to -30, but I do have another heater as a standby.

This is the first workshop that I can use year-round and it has been excellent.

20201016_110845.jpg
    20201218_162858.jpg
    20210519_075428.jpg
    https://badwolfwoodworking.com/wp/20...kshop-upgrade/
    https://badwolfwoodworking.com/wp/20...pgrade-part-2/

Nice shop Steve. I'd love to have that much space!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Nice shop Steve. I'd love to have that much space!

When we first bought the place I thought, "I'll never be able to fill that much space". And then went and filled it.

The slow evolution of the shop. It started about 20 months ago and I got the DC plugged together over the last few weekends. I ran 8" main to 6" side outs. I went with Blast Gate Company who I highly recommend. An outstanding product with equally impressive customer service. I will hopefully have electricity to the shop about May/June and with my TS arriving around the same time frame to hopefully be making saw dust in short order. I of course would have liked to place the DC outside the main shop but it wasn't in the cards for several reasons. My first projects will be a miter station and roubo workbench.

II.jpg

III.jpg

I.jpg