Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Those proud of their workshops, please post pics!

That looks like a great space Brad, I'm sure it will bring you years of enjoyment. I love the knotty pine walls.
    Mark McFarlane

Mark
    Thanks for your comment. I have really been enjoying my time down in the shop since I finished the shiplap walls. Have a great day!

Brad

Ok. Martin wins!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Here’s a video of mine on YouTube: https://youtu.be/oxYozuwJt14

Well done. Thank you for sharing
    Thanks,
    Sal

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted on this thread.

I'm going to finally organize my workshop over fall/winter, and am trying to come up with ideas.

Really enjoyed scrolling through this thread. I'm designing my next shop, will be a 20x20 addition to the back of a 2-car garage. My current shop is some warehouse space I've rented near downtown Houston, a big metal building that's a furnace in the summer and cold in the "winter" here. I have 1800 sq ft, which also doubles as storage.

My current ductwork for the dust collection is pitiful, I learned a lot, and will make big improvement for the next shop.

Thanks for all the ideas!

shop1.jpgshop2.jpgshop3.jpg
    Last edited by DannyC White; 01-04-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Hi Danny. Having lived in Houston for a couple of years a long time ago, I can imagine what a metal building might feel like in the summer. Your improvement in comfort will more than make up for the loss of square footage. I currently rent space (about 1000sf) near downtown Chicago, but am planning to do a garage remodel and move my shop there. My current space has heat, but no air conditioning. The garage space will be smaller, but I am looking forward to walking to my shop rather than driving for 30 minutes to over an hour, depending on traffic. I hope you post pictures of your new space when it is completed. -Jon

Not quite done yet. Area totals app. 950 sq. ft. with the lumber rack that sits in the lower bay.
    new shop 2020.jpgNew shop 2020 2.jpgNew shop 2020 1.jpgscan0001.jpg

I little different view of my shop than previously posted...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I little different view of my shop than previously posted...

Jim, hopefully you researched the privacy issues with Ring's video cameras, particularly neighborhood sharing and law enforcement access. You might consider configuring this system to be secure. Ring systems are very nice from a feature/convenience/cost prospective, and a bit creepy from a privacy/surveillance state perspective.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Jim, hopefully you researched the privacy issues with Ring's video cameras, particularly neighborhood sharing and law enforcement access. You might consider configuring this system to be secure. Ring systems are very nice from a feature/convenience/cost prospective, and a bit creepy from a privacy/surveillance state perspective.
    There's a lot of FUD out there on "privacy issues" with RING. Neighborhood sharing and sharing with law enforcement only happens if one releases an actual, specific video to them. Neither the "neighborhood" or LE can access the videos in any other way. Yes, there were a few internal employees at RING that apparently gained access to some videos, but it was not a public matter. Further, the so-called hacked cameras that were briefly in the news....weren't "hacked". Those incidents happened because the end consumer used the same email and passwords for their RING account that they used for other things and when their information was obtained from those other accounts, the "nice folks" started trying the email/PQ combinations across many different sites and a few folks with RING subscriptions experienced the reason why they shouldn't reuse passwords.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There's a lot of FUD out there on "privacy issues" with RING. Neighborhood sharing and sharing with law enforcement only happens if one releases an actual, specific video to them. Neither the "neighborhood" or LE can access the videos in any other way. Yes, there were a few internal employees at RING that apparently gained access to some videos, but it was not a public matter. Further, the so-called hacked cameras that were briefly in the news....weren't "hacked". Those incidents happened because the end consumer used the same email and passwords for their RING account that they used for other things and when their information was obtained from those other accounts, the "nice folks" started trying the email/PQ combinations across many different sites and a few folks with RING subscriptions experienced the reason why they shouldn't reuse passwords.
    Yes, Law Enforcement (LE) may request video through Ring (that you may deny), or it may come through a subpoena in which case I'm not sure what the process is. After receiving the video LE can do whatever they want with it, including store it forever, transmit it,...

FYI, From Rings 'Terms of Service "You hereby grant Ring and its licensees an unlimited, irrevocable, fee free and royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide right to use, distribute, store, delete, translate, copy, modify, display, and create derivative works from such Content that you share through our Services including, without limitation, the Ring Neighbors feature or application, the Ring Community, or via a share link, for any purpose and in any media format".

Ring just released a new Control Center app that gives users more explicit control over what is shared, but I suspect most users don't really understand that if they open up a single video through Neighbors, Community, or even emailing a link to someone then Amazon essentially owns that clip forever and can do whatever they want with it.
    Mark McFarlane

All true, Mark. But honestly...I'm not concerned with it. "They" already know more about me than I do...and I'm really happy with our system. It's also less than a third of the cost ongoing than our previous system which could not be upgraded to support Ethernet reporting which was required so we could drop our "land line".

We now return you to this great proud-of-workshops thread!
    --