Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Those proud of their workshops, please post pics!

Ditto to what Jim said ... very nice shop. Did you paint the metal ductwork white at some point?

Yes I did paint the one run of ductwork in the photo. I had purchased a gallon of “Festool” white when I started building several cabinets for my shop and have plenty leftover. A friend joked with me that I need Festool green pinstripes on the ducts ��
    Last edited by Pat Rice; 12-18-2017 at 1:23 PM.

Mark, can you tell a little more about your spray system? What type of fan, how well does it work and exhaust the fumes? In trying to plan a spray section for my shop, thanks

Post A little 104 square foot workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    [...]

I'd love to see how you do things, and how you do things differently with all the disciplines here: tuners, neanders, power tool users, festoolies, etc.

For those of you who are proud of your workshops, can you share pictures of your workshop?
    Also, can you write up a little blurb behind why you decided what you did, and what(if any) you'd change.

-Matt
    I live in Brazil... almost a different planet from the POV from most people from the US although closer to Europe... Our prices for tools here always include a burden of taxes, so they are around 30% to 100% higher than the "mail price" you can order in the US and the offers are much more limited by quantity and variety both for manufacturers as well different models from them. I have purchased a significant part of my tools in Germany or the US, some of them in Denmark or other country.

At our basement we have our garages and my small workshop. I mounted it 25 years ago bringing the stuff I had from my parent's home. This year (2017) I made some important update to several of my electrical tools - most of them were unreliable or missing important features as variable speed and better operational security. From that small shop came all the cabinets we have in our kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms, laundry as well tables, bookshelves and some additional furniture.

All the best!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 12-22-2017 at 4:21 PM. Reason: Typo... as usual!

Scott, If you were asking about my spray room here is the info. The room is 10' x 10'. The exhaust hood was built in the shop I used to work for. I was in the HVAC business. The filter rack holds 2 - 20x25 filters. They do a good job of catching the overspray. The fan is an inline axial fan from fantech. It is not an explosion proof fan but I am not concerned about that. The duct work is 8" and goes through the roof out a custom roof jack. It pulls 500 cfm through the fan. I tested the flow to verify. It does a pretty good job clearing out the overspray but not like a commercial booth. I could pull out more but that would require more fresh air into the shop. I heat and cool my shop so this works for me.

Hello Larry,
    I am new to woodworking and just in the begning phases of trying to set my shop up. I am looking to buy a table saw and planer soon. I have been looking at several different saws and having trouble making decisions. I see you have the Grizzly 1023SL. I was considering getting that saw to get into a cabinet saw at a cheaper price point. However, I have heard mixed reviews good and bad on Grizzly table saws. I have been debating on the Grizzly, trying to find a used unisaw or powermatic, or was considering a new Ridgid contractor saw that is cast iron. I was leaning towards the Ridgid as an entry level saw and I only have about a 1.5 car garage for an entire shop.
    Thanks for your input!

Amazing workshop by the way!

Glad this thread is still alive.

Mine is still in shambles, but I plan to fix it soon.
    I'll probably post a thread for people to help advise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mazzino View Post
    Hello Larry,
    I am new to woodworking and just in the begning phases of trying to set my shop up. I am looking to buy a table saw and planer soon. I have been looking at several different saws and having trouble making decisions. I see you have the Grizzly 1023SL. I was considering getting that saw to get into a cabinet saw at a cheaper price point. However, I have heard mixed reviews good and bad on Grizzly table saws. I have been debating on the Grizzly, trying to find a used unisaw or powermatic, or was considering a new Ridgid contractor saw that is cast iron. I was leaning towards the Ridgid as an entry level saw and I only have about a 1.5 car garage for an entire shop.
    Thanks for your input!
    I have the G1023RLX. I've had it for a number of years. It compares favorably with the Unisaw. If I were to buy a new saw today I would not hesitate to buy the same one.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We moved about a year ago and I got the entire garage this time. It's heated, has running water, and a floor drain down the center just in case. It has a separate 100 amp panel with 220 available. So this is where it's at after the first year. The concrete gets pretty cold, so in the spring I'm going to empty the shop and glue and tapcon 3/4" plywood over the conc. It'll be easier on my old bones too. I think that whole corner of book cases is going to go and be replaced with base and wall cabinets. And a new miter box is in the works so that will have it's own station. My 30 year old Ryobi miter saw will be retired with honors. The dust collection and the air compressor are in a closet under the stairs, which lead up to my "office" with the 9' AMF pool table. (which is why there is a double 2x12 beam across the shop.) Once I finalize a setup I'll do a more permanent dust collection system. Suggestions welcome.
    20180218_134205.jpg20180218_134214.jpg20180218_134221.jpg20180218_134433.jpgoffice.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    My oddly shaped narrow basement shop has evolved over 43 years. For about 15 years I processed mostly aluminum while making about 2500 barefoot ski booms. Happiest day was when I sold the business. Got a G1023 shortly after, got rid of my old Monkey Wards RAS and slowly continued to build in the space available, under 400 sf. It all got tied together when I installed my dust collection system 7 years ago.
    NOW you tell me...

My workshop - more than just woodworking!

IMG_0579.jpgIMG_1098.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    I'll finally be non-nomadic, and I'd like to finally build up a workshop.
    Before I get started, I'd love to get ideas.

I'd love to see how you do things, and how you do things differently with all the disciplines here: tuners, neanders, power tool users, festoolies, etc.

For those of you who are proud of your workshops, can you share pictures of your workshop?
    Also, can you write up a little blurb behind why you decided what you did, and what(if any) you'd change.

-Matt
    More than just a woodshop, it's a part of our country life. I built this in 2014 after more than two years of planning and delay, shoulder surgery, and weather. In my case, woodworking is one of a few hobbies that I love and the shop helps support keeping the homestead up to speed as well as making nice things from wood. Lots of thought went into design, insulation, lighting, electrical and I'm gratified daily, still pinching myself when I walk in after over 3 years. P.S. Every inside pic is rotated and I cannot seem to compensate by rotating it in the opposite direction ahead of time. Basically, shop is two halves with a post in the very middle. Traditional bench table saw and outfeed/assembly table in the twisted pic.
    Last edited by Dennis McCullen; 03-11-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Looks nice to me!

At first, I thought you were a fellow neanderthal and were gloating about your outstanding prowess outdoors.

My Shop

IMG_0289.jpgIMG_0139.jpg20150926_073545.jpg20150627_184723.jpg20150723_140019.jpgIMG_0245.jpgIMG_0129.jpgIMG_0188.jpg

Just some random pics I've taken over the years. The dust collector is in the next room that was built as a tornado shelter. 12" concrete walls. The shop is in a daylight basement so my projects can go through the sliding door and not up the stairs. I feel very blessed to have this shop. Hardly a day goes by that I don't spend some time in there. Ive built a whole house full of furniture.

Marty

Quick cleanup in the shop this morning. Snapped a few photos.
    Bay 1/2:

Woodshop:

Bay 5/6 (Upholstery bay):

Metal fab room: