Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Those proud of their workshops, please post pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Rametta View Post
    Hi- I'm new here, but like you, I like to see what other guys do with the shop.

I keep a blog for shop time, and it's easier to send you a link than to post all the pics.

Sam, welcome to SMC! There's a wealth of knowledge here that's accumulated since 2003 and we're sure you'll find that useful. We also help you'll contribute to that by posting photos here where they will be available as part of that knowledge base. We really don't encourage linking to off-forum resources for that reason.

'Looking forward to seeing your shop and projects!

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There's some great stuff on here!

I'll have to find some time to work on mine.
    Thing with a small business though, is that there's never time.

Here's my shopIMG_0719.jpg

Oh how I long for a functional workshop again. Here's what I used to have.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Hey Julie,

Thanks for posting. Beautiful setup!
    I hope to finally get back to building guitars this year--and I'm slowly chipping away at making my "workshop" useable.
    Currently, it's full of a jumbled mess.

btw, how do you like the festool vac vs the basic shopvac?

Great looking shops .. nice drawers Julie. super organized .

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Hey Julie,

Thanks for posting. Beautiful setup!
    I hope to finally get back to building guitars this year--and I'm slowly chipping away at making my "workshop" useable.
    Currently, it's full of a jumbled mess.

btw, how do you like the festool vac vs the basic shopvac?
    I don't see any more guitars in the future, Matt. Too expensive of a hobby!

Like you, I am slowly chipping away at the list of things needed to be done to once again have a functional workshop. I've got a kitchen remodel on my hands now and the next phase will include a lot of dust creation. So I've been working on getting the dust collection system easier to use and more efficient.

I love the Festool vac, partly because it's so quiet but also because it has an auto function - plug in the tool and as soon as the tool is running, the vac is too. I have the Dust Deputy connected to the shop vac and it works very well but it is bulky and loud. The shop vac is 16 gallon but that part of the vacuum never does any collecting. It all ends up in the Dust Deputy 5 gallon bucket. If I could figure a way to reduce the shop vac container, I could get rid of some of the bulk and make the DD/shop vac more compact.

I was working on changing out the PVC duct to metal yesterday:

The movers did a tune on the cyclone. It seemed to be working okay when I had the PVC duct in place, but there appears to be more waste that makes it through to the outside vent. I think all the damage is pushing debris away from the outside of the cyclone and more of it is getting sucked into the vent. I may have to rebuild the whole thing, something I do not look forward to doing.

The split shop (inside shop and garage shop) does not make for efficient work flow but I'll have to figure out a way to make it work. Once the cabinet door project begins, I'm sure I'll find a lot of things that will need improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-06-2017 at 7:24 PM.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Here are pictures of my current shop. The one time during last year is was cleaned up. Moving to a new basement space at the end of the month.
    9 - 3.jpg9 - 4.jpg9 - 6.jpg9 - 7.jpg9 - 8.jpg

Welcome to the Creek Peter!
    Nice shop!
    Fred

Peter....... KlipschHorn speakers? I am sooooo jealous.

Lornie

Wooooooow!

That's a beautiful setup.

12. Some nice looking shops here, glad I'm not the only one that keeps their shop overly tidy. I'll put some pics up of mine soon too.

I sorta know the feeling, even though I can get my wood fairly inexpensively.
    The labor and dedication is way too expensive compared to buying a decent Chinese made instrument
    However when my first guitar is a 1935 Martin OOO clone, I'm sorta beyond redemption...:P

I feel sorta like an addict--I'd like to kick the habit, settle down and start a family, but the wood keeps calling....

Lol. Nice setup.
    If you do need a good cheap supplier of wood, PM me. I'll show you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I don't see any more guitars in the future, Matt. Too expensive of a hobby!

Like you, I am slowly chipping away at the list of things needed to be done to once again have a functional workshop. I've got a kitchen remodel on my hands now and the next phase will include a lot of dust creation. So I've been working on getting the dust collection system easier to use and more efficient.

I love the Festool vac, partly because it's so quiet but also because it has an auto function - plug in the tool and as soon as the tool is running, the vac is too. I have the Dust Deputy connected to the shop vac and it works very well but it is bulky and loud. The shop vac is 16 gallon but that part of the vacuum never does any collecting. It all ends up in the Dust Deputy 5 gallon bucket. If I could figure a way to reduce the shop vac container, I could get rid of some of the bulk and make the DD/shop vac more compact.

I was working on changing out the PVC duct to metal yesterday:

The movers did a tune on the cyclone. It seemed to be working okay when I had the PVC duct in place, but there appears to be more waste that makes it through to the outside vent. I think all the damage is pushing debris away from the outside of the cyclone and more of it is getting sucked into the vent. I may have to rebuild the whole thing, something I do not look forward to doing.

The split shop (inside shop and garage shop) does not make for efficient work flow but I'll have to figure out a way to make it work. Once the cabinet door project begins, I'm sure I'll find a lot of things that will need improvement.

For many years I worked out of a one car garage until realizing my dream of building a free standing workshop in my back yard in 1999. It is 24' x 24' with 10' ceilings and I spent many hours trying to figure out how to best use the space. Knowing that I would eventually have a cabinet table saw I planned ahead and buried pvc for dust collection and ran pvc conduit for supplying electric to the table saw and a outlet, that has turned out to be a great decision. Here is a link to my shop tour back then: http://www.shoptours.org/shop_tours/files/pat-rice.html Several years ago I got heavily involved in photography and my shop sat idle and accumulated a lot of "stuff" from the house and kids who had moved away. This year I had my passion for woodworking rekindled and have since April been working hard to clean out my shop and upgrade a lot of my equipment (some was over 30yrs old). I drank a little of the green Festool koolaid which led to more Festool items. My wife has been extremely helpful in challenging me to rethink my tool layout and to not just do what I always have done. Ended up replacing my cabinet saw with a SawStop ICS, new Incra table saw fence, replaced an old Dewalt radial arm saw with Festool Kapex, replaced my 18 yr. old Oneida 1.5 hp cyclone dust collector with new Oneida 5hp Dust Gorilla Pro with Smart Boost. In the past I built a lot of rough functional cabinets in the shop but now I have replaced most of the old cabinets with new. Here are some photos IMG_0923.jpgIMG_0104.jpgIMG_0140.jpgIMG_0917.jpg

That's a really nice looking setup, Pat!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...