Thread: walnut live edge slab table

walnut live edge slab table

I finally finished this live edge table with bookmatched walnut slabs. I’ve been working on it for nearly a year, it feels good to have it completed and sitting in my living room. It is my first large furniture project, and I’m not in a hurry to do another.

There are maple dovetail keys to keep the large cracks from spreading, and turquoise inlay in the knotholes and smaller cracks. The base is 8/4 walnut and maple. I plan on growing plants through the hole in the center of the top, there is a shelf for this purpose below it.

Finished with Arm-R-Seal (an equal mix of satin and gloss) over Waterlox Original. I gave up the Waterlox after a number of blushing and pooling problems.

I was only able to complete this thanks to my woodworking friend Kurt. His drum sander saved me after about 10 hours of hand planing only got me through one face.

Here is the full build album: http://imgur.com/a/DHttO

And my favorite picture from the build, jointing with the low angle jointer plane:

Really neat look to that, and great pictures! Thanks for posting.

Now that's thin shaving.
    The table is very cool I can't tell if it's a book match or the tree grew like that.

Aj

Great work!

A truly unique and beautiful table!!! Excellent craftsmanship. And yea...that shaving...wow...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like it! It's beautifully done. Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    And my favorite picture from the build, jointing with the low angle jointer plane:

showoff
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.