Thread: Glue for Cocobolo

Glue for Cocobolo

I am just cutting out the parts for a special box, using 1/2" material with mitered corners with slip feathers. My question, what glue would be best, I do know I need to while the joints first with DNA or Acitone.
    thanks for any info
    Don

As with any oily timber, don't use a water based glue. West system or similar epoxy will work best. It's what we use for yacht fittings using similar species. Cheers

Blog Entries
    I made two small bevel lanes 15 years ago out of cocboolo and curly maple and used craftsman woodworkers glue, which is till working fine. I cleaned the surface of teh cocobolo with lacquer thinner and roughed it slightly with 220 grit paper prior to glue up.bevelplane.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I read an article in one of the magazines a couple years ago that said that the problem was badly exaggerated. They found yellow glue worked just fine and acetone was a waste. YMMV!

I've never glued cocobolo, but I have used yellow glue on bubinga, kingwood, teak, and goncalo alves many times with no problems.

Thank you gentleman for your quick replys. Very much appreciated
    Don

Same here no problem gluing coco bolo.
    Now Lignum Vitae that's a different story.I tried to make a small handplane out of some last year I could not get epoxy to grab it.
    That stuff is something else.

Aj

I personally use epoxy only because epoxy will adhere to itself. Yellow glue will not. ( not very well, anyway.)