Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well I Took The Plunge

Well, the wait is over. It just got here. It all looks good, except my Fein hose doesn't fit. The Domino dust port has threads, so does that mean the Festool connector is threaded to connect with it?
    I'm going to have to make a run out to Oaktree Woodworking to check out the collector hose and get some kind of adapter.
    I haven't tried it yet, it got here at the end of the day and we're getting ready to go somewhere, but I'll definitely give it a test run tomorrow.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Who we are... Mistakes in judgement of a product can be costly. A lesson learned and a lesson sharedhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...72768528728580

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Who we are... Mistakes in judgement of a product can be costly. A lesson learned and a lesson sharedhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...72768528728580
    I'm failing to see the point of you posting what appears to be nothing more than an advertisement for a particular furniture manufacturer.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Well, the wait is over. It just got here. It all looks good, except my Fein hose doesn't fit. The Domino dust port has threads, so does that mean the Festool connector is threaded to connect with it?
    I'm going to have to make a run out to Oaktree Woodworking to check out the collector hose and get some kind of adapter.
    I haven't tried it yet, it got here at the end of the day and we're getting ready to go somewhere, but I'll definitely give it a test run tomorrow.
    Sweet! Yeah, you do need the vacuum...I wouldn't use the Domino without it. And please post a pic or two of the front end. I'd like to see what's in place of the pins that my Domino has.

Excellent. Thank you Bill, I will definitely keep that jig in mind.
    Stew,
    I use the Domiplate to join face frames. When attaching the FF to the cabinets I use the 1/2" side for the cabinet box and shelf edges and the 3/4" side for the FF. This creates a very nice 1/8" (half of the 1/4" difference in offset) lip at the shelves. The Domiplate also provides a solid assist in Domino drawer construction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I'm failing to see the point of you posting what appears to be nothing more than an advertisement for a particular furniture manufacturer.
    You seem to fail on any point on the subject if it's not a positive one.

"As to the failing bar stools, we don't have any details (and the devil is always in the details) so it is hard to accept a blanket statement as you are making, Jack. I would hazard a guess that the failing joints were not appropriately-sized whereas a M&T joint likely would have been since it can be made ANY size and dominos only come in a small array of sizes."

You've already decided.....
    Last edited by jack duren; 08-31-2016 at 8:40 PM.

Mine is about 8,000 miles away, but if I remember right the Festool hose just slips over the outside of the domino connector. There are no threads on the Festool hose, its smooth.
    Mark McFarlane

You seem to fail on any point on the subject if it's not a positive one.

"As to the failing bar stools, we don't have any details (and the devil is always in the details) so it is hard to accept a blanket statement as you are making, Jack. I would hazard a guess that the failing joints were not appropriately-sized whereas a M&T joint likely would have been since it can be made ANY size and dominos only come in a small array of sizes."

You've already decided.....
    How about answering the question(s) that have been posed to you, Jack? You've made some claims which I'm fine with if you would only back 'em with something that we can put our heads around so we can fully understand what is going on. You've completely failed to do that and instead have taken jabs at me and posted some strange advertisement for the place where you work which is not germaine to the topic at all.

How about answering the question(s) that have been posed to you, Jack? You've made some claims which I'm fine with if you would only back 'em with something that we can put our heads around so we can fully understand what is going on. You've completely failed to do that and instead have taken jabs at me and posted some strange advertisement for the place where you work which is not germaine to the topic at all.
    I have the same curiosity. Look forward to seeing more details on this about what actually lead to the failed joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    I have the same curiosity. Look forward to seeing more details on this about what actually lead to the failed joints.
    I trust this isn't some breach of confidentiality, but I too am interested. I realize there's no pics, so how about a description.
    Did tenons shear off? ...or pull out from tension?
    Mortise blow out from torque? ...in leg? ...apron? stretcher?
    Glue failure?
    Seat joint fail? ...Stretcher joint? ...Both?
    Was there a backrest? Arms?

I don't own Domino, but want one, and this could be valuable info to all owners and wanna-bes.

Stew,
    The connector is not threaded, it is ribbed and the hose fits over it on the domino. On other Festool products the hose slips inside the connector.

+1. You (Jack) did the very same thing on the "is it ok to have 2 jointers" thread - threw out a contrary opinion with nothing to substantiate it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +1. You (Jack) did the very same thing on the "is it ok to have 2 jointers" thread - threw out a contrary opinion with nothing to substantiate it.
    Asked if he needed two jointers and I said no, its excessive. If you can't sharpen blades, buy spare blades or do general maintenance on your tools buying another isn't going to help.

Asked if he needed two jointers and I said no, its excessive. If you can't sharpen blades, buy spare blades or do general maintenance on your tools buying another isn't going to help.
    You just said more here than you did there. And everything you just said makes good sense and helps. Thanks for doing that.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I trust this isn't some breach of confidentiality, but I too am interested. I realize there's no pics, so how about a description.
    Did tenons shear off? ...or pull out from tension?
    Mortise blow out from torque? ...in leg? ...apron? stretcher?
    Glue failure?
    Seat joint fail? ...Stretcher joint? ...Both?
    Was there a backrest? Arms?

I don't own Domino, but want one, and this could be valuable info to all owners and wanna-bes.
    This is a sample of a bar stool. If you sit in the chair and "lean" back on two legs, where would your stress point be? It's the same with any chair, there are stress points. First we thought it was insufficient glue, testing a few loaded with glue and dried it was better, but not 100% safe. If a reasonable amount of effort(stress) went into the chair the joint would break. So extra reinforcement was added to help the Domino from separating under stress.

We treat our own chairs different than a customer.
    images.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 09-01-2016 at 6:45 PM.