Thread: What size pedestal base for table top?

What size pedestal base for table top?

I'm building a square top, pedestal style table. The top will be 55" both ways. I'm making kind of like an X type base (see attached picture). I'm wondering if a 36" base would be wide enough for a 55" top or would I need to expand the pedestal base feet a little further out? X base pedestal.jpg

You didn't give the height. You might be OK, you might not. Do as Norm would and build a quick prototype using plywood for the top and framing lumber for all else.

Have fun. Prototyping is right for this when you are breaking new ground.

It's a standard 30" high table. I'll probably just widen it a little bit to play it safe.

The tipping weakness for the table above is at the corners. The feet support the middle of the sides but not the corners.

Draw a line from foot to foot and measure from that line to where the corner of the top would project to the floor. That's your actual overhang.

The tipping likelihood is mitigated by the weight of the base so, a heavier base would make the table more stable. I suspect that's why that base is pretty massive. Is that clear as mud ?