Thread: Minimax CU300 combo - removing concentric inserts on the shaper table

Minimax CU300 combo - removing concentric inserts on the shaper table

I tried and could not figure out how to remove the concentric inserts on the shaper side of the table to use larger cutters. It is the equivalent of inserts on many router table plates.

Would appreciate help from other owners.

If the problem is getting the middle ring out so you can get to the outer rings I have found the easiest way is to raise the shaper spindle until it pushes the middle ring up. It obviously does require leaving a spindle in the machine. Easy peasy.

Dan gives you a great start. Your rings may have anti rust goop in them and if that is the case use a heat gun to warm them up, do as Dan says and then clean out the rings.

Hacks beat them into place and create problems. I have seldom had to remove more than the small ring, but once a year or so I take them all out and put "never seize" stuff on the edges. Generic info not specific to any brand.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 08-25-2016 at 11:14 AM.

You can also dress up the outer edges of the rings with some emery paper. Not enough to make the rings vibrate or rattle but enough to de-burr and smooth them out. They were pretty tight on the last CU300 I put together. Think I had to use a mallet or dead-blow hammer to tap them loose the first time.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try these.

Mine are pretty tightly stuck. This machine was basically unused for 6 years before I purchased. So, there may be anti rust goop around the inserts. I was suspecting mechanical attachment somehow given the stubborness. Given there are no screws etc., I will use heat and other suggestions you have to take them out.