Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power feeder recommendations

Power feeder recommendations

Howdy folks, I had a small power feeder in a shop years ago and always wanted another after I left. Well, it's time. Any recommendations on the new small shop (< 1/2 hp)power feeders?

Might be a big budget item, Mark, but I've just got a Co-Matic DC40 and am very happy with it. Its lighter than most as it has a DC motor (1/2HP but produces a lot of torque) and this makes it easier to lift up and down using the tilting platform on the Hammer combo. Also easy to flip from horizontal to vertical. Variable speed is useful but, from what I can gather, most users find a speed that works for them and stick to that. Comes in 240, 110 and 3 phase. Its about the lightest 4 wheeler I could find. The 3 wheel DC30 is slightly cheaper

Hi, I have a 1/2 HP 3 wheel feeder.

It would be suitable for your use, or a 4 wheel feeder.

The infinitely variable speed feeder Andy mentioned above is very nice, it would be an excellent choice.............Regards, Rod.

Need to know the OP's budget. It will be either around $500 or over $1,000. Those are basically your pricing levels.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I've got the smallest delta and a grizzly one size up. That grizzly weighs a ton. But for occasional use it was the most affordable. I use the delta exclusively on a router table that is set up for doors. It runs the edges.
    One trick i use to set up is to use a piece 1/8" thinner than the stock you plan to run to set the height of the machine. Seems to work on everything.

The Comatic DC30 and DC40 that Andy suggested are very nice feeders, if I was in the market for a new feeder it would be one of those. The way they go from parallel to perpendicular to the fence is so much better than any of the feeders I have. Comatic all so makes a Smart Stand as an option that I've heard good things about as well.

Ihave two Grizzly 1/2 HP feeders; 4rollers. I will sell one for $400. It needs a little TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    Comatic all so makes a Smart Stand as an option that I've heard good things about as well.
    What is the difference between the Smart Stand and the conventional stand? The Smart Stand is an expensive option.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Not used the Smart Stand, Alan.

My understanding from the web site is its heavier (more stable?), bigger in terms of height, has a long horizontal arm as standard, has an adjustable lock so that you can return to a preset position time and again, and has the adjustments either right in front of you (for height) or a lot closer to you than a normal stand (swing and extension for example). Its also about $1300 ($900 more than the "normal" stand). There's a full description and video here http://www.shopgearinc.com/products/...mart-stand.php

That stand and the DC feeder are best for large shapers that get heavy use. They are easier to set up, especially vertical to horizontal. Dave

Best source in the US for a DC40?
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Mancini View Post
    Ihave two Grizzly 1/2 HP feeders; 4rollers. I will sell one for $400. It needs a little TLC.
    I've never seen one of those. I have a 1/2 hp 3 wheeler, but I thought the 4 wheelers were all 1 HP.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Best source in the US for a DC40?
    Think Shop Gear is the best source (might be the only source as well :-))

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Think Shop Gear is the best source (might be the only source as well :-))
    Thanks - I got a quote from them on Friday. They are willing to sell me a bare feeder, no stand for $1195. Just wanted a reality check on price.
    JR

JR,
    the Smart Stand is worthwhile if you are making change overs. On a dedicated shaper it would not have much benefit.
    I replaced the Univer feeder on the T26 power feed arm with the DC 40 from Shop Gear. We also have the Wegoma 4N with a Smart Stand on another shaper. It is made by Comatic but modified a little by Wegoma. It is a heavier feed unit with manual speed adjustment at the rear. These units are sold by Martin. The DC40 can be adjusted digitally to speed and while operating. It has plastic covers vs the metal ones on the Wegoma but functions the same.
    As mentioned the flip to vertical feed and the memory setting and easy height adjustment are what make these feeders better than the rest. Another nice feature is the split wheel option where you can remove a outer wheel to get in close to the cutter.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg