Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coring fun for" Creekers"

Coring fun for" Creekers"

I visited Tony De Masi's shop this morning and took a test drive with two coring rig setups. First was the McNaughton system, the second was the Woodcut Bowl Saver system. Let me tell you......hands down, I like the Woodcut Bowl Saver system way better! So much easier, less fatigue, much cleaner cuts, more stable, easier on the turner.......superior system in my book. We had a Oneway Easy Core demo at one of the clubs I belong to a few months ago, so I knew about it from that demo.

Here is Tony at his Robust American Beauty.

IMG_0858.jpg Here is me coring with the Woodcut Bowl Saver IMG_0861.jpg

Here is Tony with some of the fine work he does, and some really large, highly figured bowls.
    IMG_0862.jpg

Needless to say, almost; but I put in a call to Packard Woodworks, spoke with Alan again, and have the latest and largest Woodcut Bowl Saver Max 3 on order. It should be here in just about 3 days.

The trip to Tony's was both educational and fun. Tony is always a gracious host, and I hope I did not displace any of his large rocks on the bank.......I had to park in a tight spot, and fold the mirrors on my truck in to avoid the posts on his deck and a tree on the other side of the truck, so it was pretty much a blind back out, and his driveway was a bit curved. I realized that when the back wheels went up on the bank. My apologies Tony, if I displaced any rocks on your bank!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-24-2016 at 5:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks like you had a great time Roger. By the looks of those bowls you had a good teacher.
    Congrats on your new hollowing system.

Tony comes into some pretty big wood at times, and a lot of it has great curl and other figure in the grain. It would be a shame to make chips & curlees out of it when one can make nested bowls. I am looking forward to coring out some wood when My unit arrives. Tony was very helpful for sure. Thanks for the congrats, Daryl.

Roger looks like you had a good time and got a great demo as well as seeing some very nice bowls. Congrats on your new coring system. I agree with you my neighbor has a oneway system and I really like it.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I heard back from Tony last night - no damage to his drive or steps coming up off it -whew!

The Oneway has the support arm that has to be moved as you go deeper into the cut. The Woodcut Bowl Saver does not need that. The Oneway would be about $350-$450 more with the knives I want, and would bring the cost up around $875, vs. the $469 for the Woodcut Bowl Saver Max3. I am starting out without the Laser, as there are templates for jigs I got from Packard to tell me where the bottom of the bowl will be. If later I want the laser, then I can add it.

That McNaughton system, just left me with a feeling that I did not want a coring rig if that was my only choice! Tony has his up for sale.....can't say I blame him! The Woodcut actually impressed me with its quality, and smooth cuts, and the ease of clearing the chips.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-25-2016 at 1:50 PM.

Roger, great report! The Max 3 model looks very interesting for larger lathes. I'm guessing that's what Tony has. Do you know the length of the post that comes with it? Just wondering if it's long enough for the redesigned banjo on the G0766. The longest shown on Packard's website for the standard model is only 6".

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Roger, great report! The Max 3 model looks very interesting for larger lathes. I'm guessing that's what Tony has. Do you know the length of the post that comes with it? Just wondering if it's long enough for the redesigned banjo on the G0766. The longest shown on Packard's website for the standard model is only 6".
    The Robust has a 25" swing-Tony had the earlier version, not the Max3- the specs on the Max3 say it is for large lathes up to 25" -I don't think there will be any issues-Alan @ Packard said if the post is too long, cut it off to fit- I do not think that will be necessary.

Sent from my iphone

Thanks, Roger. My only concern is that the post not be too short for the new banjo. Assuming that the system is designed to do its cutting at dead spindle center, the overall length from bottom of the post to the height of the cutter itself will need to be 8-3/4" to have 2" of post inside the neck of the banjo. From the description and artwork on the Packard site, I can't tell how much the cutting unit adds to the length of the post, or if the Max3 comes with a post longer than 6".

One additional thought. Since the Max3 simultaneously locks into the tailstock quill, we might not need the tool rest post to extend quite as far into the banjo neck for sufficient stability.
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 08-25-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: additional thought

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    That McNaughton system, just left me with a feeling that I did not want a coring rig if that was my only choice! Tony has his up for sale.....can't say I blame him! The Woodcut actually impressed me with its quality, and smooth cuts, and the ease of clearing the chips.
    I never used it, but I understand there is a learning curve that might be challenging. However, I do know of people who have used it effectively for years. One guy said it just takes some getting used to.

In the spirit of woodturning, you need to buy some system immediately. Of course a true tool junkie would buy several different ones just in case. If your wife is like mine I'm sure she would encourage that!.

JKJ

I watched the video and it looks like a great system. Roger, I think you have the same lathe as mine, Grizzly 0766. I don't see the correct post size. How are you dealing with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
    I watched the video and it looks like a great system. Roger, I think you have the same lathe as mine, Grizzly 0766. I don't see the correct post size. How are you dealing with that?
    First thing I did when I got my G0766 was to open up that 25mm hole in the banjo to make it 1 inch. Easy to do, and will take standard American accessories! If you have not done it, I encourage you do do so.........a lot of us G0766 owners made this adjustment with a drill and a 1" twist drill bit, using cutter oil to lubricate the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Thanks, Roger. My only concern is that the post not be too short for the new banjo. Assuming that the system is designed to do its cutting at dead spindle center, the overall length from bottom of the post to the height of the cutter itself will need to be 8-3/4" to have 2" of post inside the neck of the banjo. From the description and artwork on the Packard site, I can't tell how much the cutting unit adds to the length of the post, or if the Max3 comes with a post longer than 6".

One additional thought. Since the Max3 simultaneously locks into the tailstock quill, we might not need the tool rest post to extend quite as far into the banjo neck for sufficient stability.
    My unit is in transit, and is in the Roanoke UPS facility at present with scheduled delivery tomorrow. When I get it in, I will post a pic or two with dimensions of the post length for you David. I really do not think there will be an issue, however, but I could be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I never used it, but I understand there is a learning curve that might be challenging. However, I do know of people who have used it effectively for years. One guy said it just takes some getting used to.

In the spirit of woodturning, you need to buy some system immediately. Of course a true tool junkie would buy several different ones just in case. If your wife is like mine I'm sure she would encourage that!.

JKJ
    I have seen videos on youtube, read numerous posts/comments about the McNaughton system. I am so glad I put one in my own hands and even with an experienced user at my side, he told me how much better he likes the Woodcut, and after using the McNaughton a lot, was happy with the upgrade to the Woodcut. I could not agree more! In my mind, the McNaughton leaves me wanting for better cuts, less effort to manage the tool, and feeling less secure while using it. To me, the comparison of riding an old buck board without suspension springs, and a fine automobile with a good suspension system sort of indicates my feelings and impressions.

While no coring rig will be without its challenges, the design of this Woodcut Max3 I think, is so far advanced to the McNaughton, that for me at least, is a no brainer.

Thanks for the visit Roger. Was good to get together with you over some fresh shavings.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

15. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Thanks for the visit Roger. Was good to get together with you over some fresh shavings.
    Great to catch up a little, Tony! Do you have any comments on the post length? I think it should be fine for a 22" swing lathe. I know the post support on the Robust is a little higher than our Grizzly 0766's, but I think we will be fine with it.