Thread: How I built my Pocket Hole Machine (not KREG style)

Red face How I built my Pocket Hole Machine (not KREG style)

During the Winter of 2000, I worked at a cabinet shop while in college. My introduction to pocket hole joinery was using a Porter Cable Pocket Cutter. Since then, I have been spoiled and have hated using Kreg jigs due to the tear out on the hole and the angled pilot hole that makes it hard to keep the surface flush . So I decided to build my own pocket hole cutter based on what I remember of the Porter Cable version I used 15+ years ago. Here is a link to the videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkAUJ_-y3gQ I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by Wes Harville; 08-23-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Wes,

Here's a thought - you should take a bow. Very nice!

I like how you got even with the Kreg jig by using it to drill pocket holes for the construction of the machine that will replace and improve upon it. Reminds me of when a person gets fired from their job and has to train their replacement!

Thanks for the kind words. I too thought it was very fitting that the Kreg jig got to dig its own grave!!

Awesome idea and it turned out great. How do you adjust it for material thickness?

Right now you have to raise the router bit and raise the drill which is cumbersome. However I am currently drawing plans for a revised version that will have a quick change method.

Very nice! Don't think that I could build one based on the video, but I could get close. Impressive!

Porter cable at one point had Castle building their pocket screw machines.

Trade out your straight cutter for a 3/8" fluting bit. Removes less material, lasts longer since it doesn't load up as much, and allows faster cycle times. I stole the idea from Safety Speed Cut's machine and use it in my Castle.

Nice! Pocket holes do certainly have their place in a cabinet shop. I also prefer this style machine and own the PC 552(identical to the tsm-11 from castle besides the motors) and love it. Seems your version works just as well.

Very impressive
    Last edited by Marc Burt; 08-24-2016 at 9:41 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Porter cable at one point had Castle building their pocket screw machines.

Trade out your straight cutter for a 3/8" fluting bit. Removes less material, lasts longer since it doesn't load up as much, and allows faster cycle times. I stole the idea from Safety Speed Cut's machine and use it in my Castle.
    I will definately try that. I was planning on trying a spiral bit as well.