Thread: Used 766

Used 766

I saw a used 766 on craigslist only three months old. He claims he only turned four bowls on it. Also stated that he has two young children and that he has no time left for turning. He is asking $1375 for it. Plus he wants to sell tools and sharpener separate. I don't need the tools or the sharpener. It is about 4 hours oneway for me. Figure it would save me $350 but the travel is not cheap.

What say you worth the price or just get a new one delivered to the door.

Thanks

2. His asking price is in line I think........that being said, a new one comes with a warranty, and that is worth the extra for support from tech services, and if you were to need any parts. You can still get that from Grizzly, but it will probably cost you as you are not the original owner. I would talk with him and inquire if there were any issues at all, and if he got the updated banjo, and how the thing runs. My G0766 runs as good as any lathe I have turned on from the Asian manufactures, which includes Powermatic, Jet, Grizzly and Delta. I have also turned on a Robust American Beauty and been up close and personal to a Oneway 2436, and my 0766 is smooth, quiet, and has power to spare.

If his 0766 seems to be in fine shape and runs well.......you probably would be just fine. The warranty period is only for a year, so that might help you decide as well. Good luck with whatever decision you make. There is a support group here on SMC for Grizzly lathe owners. The Grizzly Green Monster Group.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!