Thread: 1", 2", & 3" sanding disc storage?

1", 2", & 3" sanding disc storage?

I have a small pile of 1", 2", and 3" sanding discs, mandrels, etc. I like to keep stuff neat and avoid clutter so I am looking for a solution other than a Post Office shipping box that they are in at the moment!

I would really like a plastic case or two.

Share with me your latest solutions for storing these things. If you have found a reasonable cost storage case/bin solution that would be much appreciated. I like using cases for stuff like this.

Vince's Wood and Wonders does sell some options, looks like three in total on his site although one is sold out. I cannot remember if we are allowed to link to vendors here so I'll just say that there is a "disc holders and organizers" section in his store.
    http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/storage-bins/

I do own one of his holders, the one called the "7 Bin Portable Discs Carrier". My biggest beef with it was that it says it can hold both the 2" and 3" discs and I originally bought it to keep my 3" discs organized. While it is technically true that it can hold 3" discs, it cannot hold them vertically in the middle section underneath the handle. I repurposed it to hold 2" discs instead and am happy with it for that use. It is Rubbermaid-ish quality so no complaints for the price. The dividers are removable but depending on how many different grits of discs you use, there may not be enough separate sections for you to dedicate one section per grit and have a couple of sections left over for mandrels and pads. I only use 80-400 so it works for me.

I have been eyeing his 6-bin holder that looks like it could be wall mounted for placement near my lathe but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-18-2016 at 2:17 PM. Reason: Added link

I use these. The compartments are plenty big enough for 3" discs.

https://www.amazon.com/Stack-CB-12-C.../dp/B000M2WVT4

I use one of Vince's containers for my 2" discs when I am taking a class away from my shop. I write the grit size on the inside of the lid. The case also has enough room for my sanding disc holders. I made a bunch of holders so that I was not constantly changing grits. I use a similar arrangement for my 1" disc's and holders. I use one of the clear plastic boxes from HD for the 1" stuff. For in shop use, I had some clear pvc pipe that I cut into 5" lengths and use them for my 2" and 3" discs. I turned tops and bottoms from scraps. In my shop, I mounted some brackets and put my 2" disc holders in them. I labeled the grit numbers on the brackets. I have quick-disconnect chucks in all my sanding drills. It makes changing grits a snap.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Stephen View Post
    Vince's Wood and Wonders does sell some options, looks like three in total on his site although one is sold out. I cannot remember if we are allowed to link to vendors here so I'll just say that there is a "disc holders and organizers" section in his store.
    http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/storage-bins/

I do own one of his holders, the one called the "7 Bin Portable Discs Carrier". My biggest beef with it was that it says it can hold both the 2" and 3" discs and I originally bought it to keep my 3" discs organized. While it is technically true that it can hold 3" discs, it cannot hold them vertically in the middle section underneath the handle. I repurposed it to hold 2" discs instead and am happy with it for that use. It is Rubbermaid-ish quality so no complaints for the price. The dividers are removable but depending on how many different grits of discs you use, there may not be enough separate sections for you to dedicate one section per grit and have a couple of sections left over for mandrels and pads. I only use 80-400 so it works for me.

I have been eyeing his 6-bin holder that looks like it could be wall mounted for placement near my lathe but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.
    Yeap, I buy the discs from Vince. He has good discs and service. Looking for other options for the holders/storage and cases.

This might be a little off of the main topic but is related to keeping track of the grits of our sandpaper.

When I cut up little pieces of sandpaper, I try to remember to write the grit on the back, as sometimes the pieces are too small to capture the manufacturer's markings.

But with the round disks mounted on an arbor, I found it annoying to have to peel the paper back to check the grit. So I have started to use a felt tip marker to just write the grit on the face of the disk. I haven't noticed any of the dye from the marker getting onto my wood and it seems like the paper retains the grit marking throughout it's useful life. So with this approach, I can tell at a glance what the grit is. Sometimes I shorten the number - - for example - - I may write "22" or "32" instead of 220 or 320.

Good idea Bruce!

I use a small parts organizer with deep compartments similar to this one from Home Depot:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-10...4825/203367153

I have two that hold all my discs, mandrels, extra Velcro, etc. I prefer it to the upright bins referenced above. I used them to hold pen sets and found that they are not at all "shavings/dust-tight".

I use the screw together (stackable) storage things. Sold at most any hobby stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby) and sometimes in fishing tackle stores to separate hooks, sinkers, etc.
    Usually a "tube" of four or six, the bottom of one is the top for the next (only one real top). About 3-6$ a tube depending on size, #, and quality.
    I use Vinces disc so they need to be a little oversized. These are fit Vinces 1" and 2". You can store backup pads in them also if you wish but I keep my pads just on a strip of Velcro.

Disc Storage 001.jpg
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

tiltbin.jpg
    This is what I use: a couple of tilt bin containers mounted on the wall near my lathe. Works great!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I use these from Craft Supplies. They come in 2" and 3" size, there is plenty of space for discs, mandrels, interface pads, etc. You could use a 2" size holder for your 1" discs. What I like about these cases is they don't take up any wall space and are small enough that I can store them upright in or under tools or in small spaces.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...e#ReviewsPanel

It's been almost 3yrs since this thread. Just checking to see if anyone has any different ideas they would be willing to share.

Thanks
    Ricc

For the discs themselves, I'm still using the HD Husky brand equivalent of that DeWalt box. I think at that time this thread came out, the Husky was no longer made, or out of stock. I remember I was going to post, but I didn't since I couldn't find the box.
    Recently, I bought a Craftsman box (from Lowe's, I got it for pen parts) that is similar but its stackable, and if you have a LOT of discs, that may help. Keep all of your discs and mandrels together. If I wasn't happy with the Husky box, I'd use the C-man because it stacks.

In another thread about a movable grinding stand I posted a picture of my harbor Freight tool box with a shelf on the side. One of the full sized drawers is dedicated to just sand paper. I have a few drawer dividers I made out of lauan plywood on one side for different 2" discs grits I use and next to it both 5" and 6" I also use. On the other side is for boxes of full size sheets. I would love to say I'm organized but I'm not. Usually when turning I kind of make a mess. So anything that helps me stay organized and can keep the shavings out of it (when I don't forget to close the drawer) is good for me.

Harbor freight sells long single row boxes with dividers for cheap. Big enough to fit the 3 inch discs in.