Thread: Your Favorite OWWM Brand?

Your Favorite OWWM Brand?

I am looking for a couple of stationary tools for the farm and look toward old woodworking machines. My favorite brand seems to be Walker Turner. I have some old Powermatic and Delta/Rockwell/Milwaukee as well but Walker Turner seems the best of the lot I own. Which ones do you specifically like for drill press and sander models?

Depends on the machine but I am fond of Delta. Their line of early machines are bullet proof in home shop use and they are generally easy to maintain. I like Walker Turner too, but they were known for using bearings that are not readily available today so that can become an issue. Powermatic machines are fantastic as well and definitely a step from Delta.

Drill press is no question for me - Powermatic. I have the 1100 (non VS) and it is a beast. I'd love to find a 1200VS at some point, but that is A LOT of DP.

What kind of sander are you talking about?

Matt,

There is a 1200 variable speed Powermatic about an hour from the farm but it's three phase. His price is reasonable, but not great for a three phase model.

Delta has the largest contingent of OWWM my workshop because, aside from Craftsman radial arm saws, that's what I can find in relative abundance where I live (with heavy emphasis on the word "relative", because abundant is not really the way to describe the availability of OWWM in these parts). There are other brands of specific machines I'd love to have, though, if I could find them, afford them, and fit them in.

As drill presses go, the big one I have is a Rockwell/Delta, but I wouldn't think twice about picking up a reasonably priced Powermatic.

Sanders are a broad topic. My stationary belt/disc sander is a Craftsman from the 50s. Delta made some good ones as well, and Powermatic made some very stout ones. Most of my handhelds, older or newer, are Porter-Cable. My other sanding machines aren't OWWM.
    Chuck Taylor

Condition is a bigger deal than brand. Those machines are great but not built to last forever like the more industrial OWWM so you need to access the condition and wear. They will wear out so the one I can inspect is higher on my list than one I can not. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Condition is a bigger deal than brand. Those machines are great but not built to last forever like the more industrial OWWM so you need to access the condition and wear. They will wear out so the one I can inspect is higher on my list than one I can not. Dave
    Agree ,but I've seen some great machines with a lot of age but little wear. Usually because some nut "adjusted" it beyond any practical use. Usually such adventures involved a fine plywood ripping certified as "close enuf". I now call those nuts
    "generous benefactors to modern craftsmen".

I have a Clausing 16vc drill press that I really like.The rest of my equipment is evenly split between Powermatic and Delta,none from this century I might add.I prefer Powermatic.

Mel, I think we are on the same page. The industrial OWWM were built with adjustment in many or most "wear " points so even a production machine ( Tannewitz were usually used hard ) with wear can be adjusted to like new from an operating standpoint. The Delta PM type machines lacked much of that so you just need to be more concerned with heavy use for the same price. An old Unisaw might cost more than an old Whitney but if the motor is good, the Whitney may well have less risk or cost to bring into spec. Dave

Drill press I'd go with the Powermatics. For sanders I guess it would depend on what type of sander? Spindle and disc sanders I'd go with State, or for really heavy stuff the bigger Olivers are pretty stout units.

good luck,
    JeffD

Drill press? Hands down

Disk and spindle sanders- Kindt Collins. Spindle sanders are expensive but the disk sanders can be found but are rare at a decent price. None better though. Dave

It's hard to beat the Powermatic 1150 and 1200 drill presses. As for sanders, there's lots of types of them. What kind of sander are you interested in?