Thread: Salvaging blown bowls

fran tarkenton Guest

Salvaging blown bowls

Does anyone else enjoy salvaging bowls that come apart on the lathe? Sometime I lose a nice piece of wood due to my own incompetence or some defect in the wood and I don't want to let it go in the scrap heap... I end up grafting all kinds of scraps onto the host. I call them "frankenbowls"
    I welcome comments on these efforts.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look great. The ones that have turned into flying saucers of mine shattered..Couldn't save them....Went into the wood stove..

Great idea! They look nice and anyone that doesn't know better would think you did it on purpose.
    Unfortunately I don't have your patience and toss my mistakes, may give it a try the next time though.

4. Pretty nice save! I just have to ask.....you got any connections to the Minnesota Vikings?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

fran tarkenton Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    you got any connections to the Minnesota Vikings?
    Sadly no... Just a mad Viking fan since 1969. Fran T was my hero growing up.

Excellent work. I especially like the first one.

I've not had one come apart yet (knock on wood, no pun intended), but I did have a piece of hickory that the tenon snapped on... I'd had a lot of trouble with it already (an embedded stone, some catches, etc), so I took it as a sign... the blank just didn't want to be a bowl. It came to a very bright fiery end in the wood stove.