Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pecan Desk - From Log to Desk

Todd, I did mill it myself, but there is a sawmill up near Denton with a dehumidification kiln that I rent some space in so I could get it dried down to ~8% MC.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Man, that looks good!

There is a lot to like about this piece. Saving the log from the burn pile, to walnut inlay on the legs, to the cool contrast between live edge and refined cabinets. I fully intend to borrow from your design Thanks for sharing!

That's badass man. Seriously beautiful.

Is there a big difference in how you finish d the top slab vs the sides and legs? It seems like the top has more color and pop, which is one of the reasons I think it's so interesting.

Thanks

Beautiful wood and great job!!!!
    Jerry

What was the "as cut" thickness, what was the thickness once dried, and what is the final thickness? How did you plane it down when preparing the top?

Thanks, Todd

as cut I believe was 2". The dried thickness was maybe around 1-7/8". I have a 38" woodmaster drum sander that I use to sand them down flat when I get them back from the kiln. The kiln has a CNC router table they run an end mill bit on for leveling large slabs that took it down to about 1-5/8" then I sanded it down to about 1.5". I have them do enough flattening on their CNC table that I have parallel faces (but usually still have some low spots from uneven shrinkage) then I just start with 60 or 80 grit on the drum sander to flatten the faces, then run up to 180 and hand sand above that.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"