Thread: Renaissance wax question

Renaissance wax question

Hi all , I've taken a break from turning for the last year or so but a friend asked for some bowls for a wedding sooooo... Anyway I turned a few and went through the usual process of finishing. Sand to 400, buff with red compound and followed by white .
    I switched from carnuba to renaissance wax 10 years ago to minimize fingerprints (I have 100 or so bowls on display at a local store). Anyway I delivered a box of bowls to my friend for their selection and they invited me to their deck for a coffee. While sitting there on a bright Sunday morning, the bowls began to "chalk" at the top of the bowls on and near the bark (natural edge). I've seen this before when doing street fairs in the sun, but never this quickly.
    Has anyone ever used this product and experienced this? Could it be that the wax is too old? (3 yrs) and finally what is the best way to get rid of it
    Thanks in advance for any help you may have
    Tom

I have not used Renaissance wax on anything but pens. Mine is quite old and have not seen that problem. I have quit using white diamond as I have seen it get into places I can't buff on some woods.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by tom martin View Post
    ...renaissance wax... Could it be that the wax is too old? (3 yrs) and finally what is the best way to get rid of it
    Tom,

I use Renaissance Wax on almost everything after the final finish but never saw the chalking you mentioned. I primarily turn dry wood. I even put it over carnuba wax. Was this chalky substance on the surface where it would come off on your fingers? Or embedded deeper?

I still use some very old Renaissance wax and some new and besides the fact the older wax is not as soft it appears to work the same. When you mentioned the problem was on or near the bark and not on the rest of the bowl it makes me think the wax is not the problem.

That this happened on a "bright Sunday morning" makes me wonder, assuming the bowl itself was in the sun - Could the wood have still been wet near the bark, from either water moisture or uncured finish affected by heat from the sun?

As for removing the wax, on the occasion I decided to go back and work on the finish again I used a variety of solvents I had on hand, mineral spirits, naptha, alcohol, etc. followed by light sanding and/or steel wool. I don't really know which one actually did the trick since I didn't try them one at a time.

JKJ

I also use RennWax on almost every piece, but I have only done so for the past couple of years so I have never had a jar of the wax get that old on me. I have not seen the chalking you describe. I also pretty much never use white diamond and just buff out Tripoli and the RennWax. Your theory about it being too old does ring plausible to me though.

I am still using a can of ren wax that is at least 3 years old. Have not noticed any issue with it. I suspect that John has identified the problem as something other than the wax.

Tom, you don't mention what wood it was. I'm wondering if moisture, as mentioned above, or even resin warmed and flowing a bit could be the culprit.

Thanks for all of the responses. There were two different species maple and elm. Both turned Green (cut from dead trees) and then soaked in cedar cide turners choice. The bowls were then returned after a couple of weeks.Based on your replies, I'm thinking the turners choice may be the problem. I'll try a few without using it to see if it behaves the same.
    Thanks again,
    Tom