Thread: Advice on Grizzly 1495

Blog Entries

Advice on Grizzly 1495

I found a Grizzly 1495 for sale for $750.
    That may seem high, but the seller has converted it to DC so you have total control over rpm, including reverse.
    All AC parts removed come with it.

Would you take a chance that the seller knew what he was doing?
    I'm still limping along with a HF 10x18 mini.

Is it still a Reeves drive?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Forgot to add that it comes with copy attachment. That's not a selling point for me,though. I got my fill of piecework in the 34 years I worked in the shop.

Blog Entries
    Here's the ad. Sorry for the delay...I lost my link.

I have a Grizzly 1495 wood lathe that I have converted over to a variable speed DC motor with a DC Drive. This gives you speed control and forward & reverse. This is a very nice lathe and with the new equipment it gives you more control and better sanding capability. I also have the old equipment to put back on it if you would like. I also have a duplicator that will come with it. I am asking $750.00 OBO

Blog Entries
    Just emailed the seller about the Reeves drive. I'll post his answer as soon as I hear back.

I looked at similar shopfox lathes but I don't consider the their lowest rpm to be exactly 'jog'

Blog Entries
    Well, I guess we wait. No number to text.

Blog Entries
    While I wait for a responce could I get some opinions on new lathes with a limit of about $1000-1200?
    What I am looking for is a swing of at least 15-16" with a low rpm at or below 100. Preferably jog and reverse. Am I asking for too much for that price?
    What brands would you be looking at?

The problem with using a DC motor is while you get variable speed you don't get power at the lowers speeds, in fact power drops as you decrease RPM.

While I am a general fan of Grizzly, they make mis-steps, especially with their "older" lathes.

Also the copy attachment is not worth havinh

personally I'd keep looking....
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate honest opinions. Thank you

10. I have owned two Grizzly lathes......the one I currently have is the G0766 22x42 model. If I were you, I would wait a bit, save some and try to get up around that $1600 to spend, that way you can get state of the art, A/C motor, inverter, reversing, dual speed ranges from 60 rpm to 3200+ and have a lathe that is not dependent on a mechanical reeves drive. I agree with Ralph's comments above.......some of their older models were not up to today's modern features and If I just had to get a lathe now for around $800, I would get the Jet 1221 VS. as you can turn a 12" bowl on it with light cuts, and it is pretty powerful for a 1 hp rated motor, and has the features of larger lathes like reversing, variable speed etc.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nova makes a nice lathe that gets under $1000 when on sale.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your advice, everyone.
    I think I will save up and get what I'd really like to have the first time.
    In the mean time I'm beating a HF 10x18 mini very hard. I made a couple of "tweeks", one being a drilled hole at the front of the tailstock for a better grip. The cam lock was begining to give out. That really made a difference. Had to drill and tap a new set screw hole on the top pulley, too. For the sale price of $150 I think I did ok. Still going.
    Besides, if I bought at this time I would be wasting good wood cause I'm still behind the curve at sharpening tools.