Thread: Unimat SL Lathe

Unimat SL Lathe

A friend in the local VFW has a Unimat SL Lathe he's willing to give me that belonged to his father. It isn't in the best shape but doesn't look like you could make much more than a pen with it. Do any of you have any information on it?

It's a metal working lathe known for its quality and abundance of attachments available. There wasn't much that you couldn't make with them as long as it was small. They were fairly common in the university R&D world.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Do a google search and you will find out a lot more about it than here.

It's about the size of a watchmaker's lathe, but a lot more robust. It would be great for a model train maker, or miniatures maker.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I have one and say grab onto it. There are many little accessories that his father may have had for it and kept in a box separate from the lathe. Look at "Unimat" on Ebay and see what all is available and try to gather all his father had. The accessories add up to big bucks in a hurry. I make brass pen nibs for Captain Eddie 12 cent pens, Yo-Yo axles, perfectly sized dowels etc. Repair parts for those that are no longer available You will be surprised the uses you will find for it.

He said it has, "a box of junk," along with it. He left it in a damp basement, so there might be issues with the lathe and accessories.

If its free I would take it sounds like a great addition to your shop and even in a damp basement you may just have to clean it up some before using it