Thread: Router bit off center

Router bit off center

I am using the Bosch 1617EVS router with fixed base. I have the template guide attached to the base with an appropriate bushing for dovetails on a Leigh D4 jig. I place the straight bit in the collet and bring it to approximate height. I have measured at that point and the bit is centered in the guide bushing. When I then press the base clamp lever, the base moves and the bit is now off center in the guide bushing touching the bushing.

Has anyone had this problem? Know a fix?

John Neel

Blog Entries
    You might talk to Pat Warner. He is on Sawmill Creek. He will know more than many of us. Try a private message to Pat.

That's a problem with your router and it's clamping mechanism. I would talk to Bosch CS about this.

If it doesn't hit the bushing it will still cut the Dovetails on the Leigh jig OK, but only if you hold the router in the exact same orientation to the jig as it is used. I marked an arrow on the top side of the base of my router and always point it toward my D4R when routing the dovetails. If the bit is off center with respect to the bushing, the dovetails cut will just all be offset slightly with respect to the jig, but will still fit together perfectly. If you rotate the router base it will change the width of the pins or tails and they won't fit together properly.

Charley

I am not familiar with that exact router, but on other routers I have been able to improve the centering by loosening the screws that hold the base plate to the frame of the router, and nudging the base into better alignment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    That's a problem with your router and it's clamping mechanism. I would talk to Bosch CS about this.

If it doesn't hit the bushing it will still cut the Dovetails on the Leigh jig OK, but only if you hold the router in the exact same orientation to the jig as it is used. I marked an arrow on the top side of the base of my router and always point it toward my D4R when routing the dovetails. If the bit is off center with respect to the bushing, the dovetails cut will just all be offset slightly with respect to the jig, but will still fit together perfectly. If you rotate the router base it will change the width of the pins or tails and they won't fit together properly.

Charley
    He just needs another base plate which Pat can provide...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    He just needs another base plate which Pat can provide...
    And Pat's bases are really good.

A centering cone can help with this, too, if the base has a little play in it when it gets screwed to the router. That's the only way to get a base truly concentric with the collet/cutter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A centering cone can help with this, too, if the base has a little play in it when it gets screwed to the router. That's the only way to get a base truly concentric with the collet/cutter.
    +1.....
    I believe even Pat's bases have some "wriggle room" to allow for a perfect fit with a centering cone.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1151-.../dp/B004Z8SM6M
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    I agree with Jim. A centering cone is almost a necessity.

I've actually used the tapered end of the collet to center the base. Put a small collar in, loosen the base mounting screws and allow the end of the collet to come down to center the base/collar. With the collet holding the base centered, tight the mounting screws. One might even be able to put the collar in upside down to facilitate this.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you for the collective wisdom. I did contact Pat Warner and he sent me a handout that gave a little more detail. What worked was to use the pan head screws and their wiggle room to center the base plate while the base clamp lever was closed to lock the base to the motor. Then after the bit was installed and height adjusted, relocking the base to the motor brought everthing back to center and I like the joints. [There is more to learn on this and other topics on Pat Warner's web site - patwarner.com]

Learning must have been more difficult before the internet and Sawmill Creek.

Blog Entries
    Pat is very knowledgeable and graciously shares an abundance of his knowledge about routers.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-15-2016 at 4:32 PM.