Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Grizzly G0771 Tablesaw

Thoughts on the Grizzly G0771 Tablesaw

Ok, I don't mean to beat on any dead horses, but...
    I happen to have a few extra bucks on hand, and the 771 is on closeout. I have a typical late 80's vintage Craftsman contractors saw. I used it as a General Contractor, and have been using it for the last 6 years as a woodworker. I did upgrade it with a U50 Vega fence, which was a HUGE in grade for it. I've also sealed it up as best you can one of these saws, and added a dust chute underneath. I'm confident that I can get $300 for it in rather short order, which cuts the price of the Grizzly nearly in half. I know own that it has cabinet mounted trunions like a true cabinet saw, which is a huge plus, and I can plug it right into my current 110v outlet, yet have the capability to switch it to 220 at some point.
    I have done some browsing and the other threads about this saw have quite a bit of age under them so I thought I'd post this and see if I can get any perspectives from owners who have now had one for a while.
    I am fully aware of the shortcomjngs of the fence. So, besides that, what is your opinion?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I will just say that if you buy the grizzly and like the vega then put the Vega on the Grizzly and sell the craftsman with the Grizzly fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I will just say that if you buy the grizzly and like the vega then put the Vega on the Grizzly and sell the craftsman with the Grizzly fence.
    Actually I'm thinking of putting on an Incra TS-LS fence system.

Stew Hagerty

Stew,

The saw is fine. I like the Incra router but am not sure the fence for the table saw wouldn't be a pain to use all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Actually I'm thinking of putting on an Incra TS-LS fence system.
    Now i'm confused. Sounds to me that you've got a certain budget you need to stick to, but then you're going to drop $400 on a new fence system?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Now i'm confused. Sounds to me that you've got a certain budget you need to stick to, but then you're going to drop $400 on a new fence system?
    I'm not going to do the fence tomorrow. I will use the stock fence for the time being.

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    A lot of discussion can be found here. Punch this into your browser of choice( without the quotes): "G0771 site:www.sawmillcreek.org"
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Not familiar with it, but my first question is......."Does it have a riving knife?".
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Not familiar with it, but my first question is......."Does it have a riving knife?".
    Yes, it does

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A lot of discussion can be found here. Punch this into your browser of choice( without the quotes): "G0771 site:www.sawmillcreek.org"
    Those appear to be the ones I browsed through before starting this thread. They're a little older, which is why I wanted to try and get a fresh perspective from those who may have had their saw for a while.

Stew Hagerty

Same as you I scoured the internet trying to find reviews of that saw. I've spend probably two months putting it into my cart and taking it back out! In the end I gave up and just pulled the trigger on a new 1023 and be done with it.

That said, i never found any really terrible reviews on it. The biggest common complaint was, as you mentioned, the fence. Good luck in your decision!

The G0771 with the Vega fence should be a really nice setup at a very reasonable price. Full enclosure, cabinet mounted trunnions, solid cast wings, hybrid design, true riving knife, and you'll obviously have a nice fence if you add the Vega.

With a nice blade and proper setup, this should work well for you.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Is this going to be your last ts you will ever buy? Will you be content with this ts in your golden years? Does "Flesh sensing technology" trip your trigger? Since you have a good working ts right now your in a pretty good situation to save more money for the last ts you may ever need or want.

Read what Mike Roberts posted; then re-read it.

I've seen posts about w'dworkers who traded-up two, three, or more times before the bought what they always/originally wanted....

I've had my G0771 for over a year. No complaints from me, saw runs and cuts great.
    My previous saw was an old Craftsman which served the purpose, the G0771 is a big step up.
    I'm 66 years old and quite sure this will be my last T/S.