Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet design software

Cabinet design software

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for an affordable (low cost) cabinet design software. I'm not a cabinet shop, just a one man woodworker that occasionally does some cabinetry for family, friends and others. I did a search here on the forum and only saw software recommendations from 2012 or older. Suggestions?

I don't know what the cost is but most shops I know use Cabinet Vision.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Take a look at Cabinet Planner. It may be just what you are looking for.

Ecabinets is free. Thermwood is continually updating it. Their training seminar is cheaper than most programs out there. I use cabinet vision but it's certainly not low cost.
    -Lud

I use cabnetware and will be switching to cabinet vision soon(ish). I'm guessing neither is what you're looking for as they're both over $5k to get into to.

Mozaik is subscription based and has some very cool features. I really wanted to like it, but I've been running the software I have for almost ten years and couldn't make the transition.

I'm also looking for new cabinet software. I used free google sketchup for 3 years for many projects - I know it doesn't compare to more sophisticated programs.
    Has anyone used sketchup pro? I think its about $700

Cabinet Vision looks amazing

+1 for eCabinet Systems. Completely free with multiple cabinet styles available so you can be assured of finding a style that is at least close to what you want. It's easy to use and prints excellent layouts. Did I mention that it's free?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I'd sell my key to Canetware when the time comes to switch to Cabinet Vision. The problem is I don't know when that will be. I'm going to end up investing about $25k into the new software. So any bit helps.

Planit is no longer supporting Cabnetware, but it's still a plenty powerful program if you can find someone selling a key. Depending on the version, and what is capabilities are you might be able to get it for $1k or less. I've looked high and low for pirated versions with zero luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I'd sell my key to Canetware when the time comes to switch to Cabinet Vision. The problem is I don't know when that will be. I'm going to end up investing about $25k into the new software. So any bit helps.

Planit is no longer supporting Cabnetware, but it's still a plenty powerful program if you can find someone selling a key. Depending on the version, and what is capabilities are you might be able to get it for $1k or less. I've looked high and low for pirated versions with zero luck.
    $25K!?! Wow how much do they get for Cabinet Vision?!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Cabinet Vision is one of the top tier cabinet programs. Martin is probably opting to the "Ultimate" version, which comes with Closet Design, Nesting, Optimization and a year of support from Planit. I haven't looked into their new version 9 because I'm happy with mine. You can get a free month of Cabinet Vision Essential but it is extremely hobbled in power and reporting. Versions (tiers) are Essential, Standard, Advanced, Ultimate. Then they have add-on packages.

I'm also looking for new cabinet software. I used free google sketchup for 3 years for many projects - I know it doesn't compare to more sophisticated programs.
    Has anyone used sketchup pro? I think its about $700
    I use Sketchup to build 3D posts, appliances and other things my clients want to see in the renderings along with the cabinets. It's very handy and easy to import SKP files into Cabinet Vision.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    $25K!?! Wow how much do they get for Cabinet Vision?!
    A lot when you're looking to send parts to a CNC.

Back in the day before sketchup I used e-cabinets. Its free. Little bit of a learning curve but you can do it. I'm in the process of working with a builder on my next (and last) home. I'm going to build the cabinets that he' has installed.

I've been looking at cabinet software that is leased by the month, since I will only have one kitchen to do. If you google cabinet software by the month, you will see a lot of options that allows you to rent the software. If you only want one kitchen done may be a good alternative. I'm wanting cad-cam G-code output for my CNC so I can design and it will just cut the parts and you put it together.

You may want to consider that route as well.

Good luck.

Really good cabinet software can take well over a month to get setup properly, when you are outputting to a CNC and want everything done your way.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Really good cabinet software can take well over a month to get setup properly, when you are outputting to a CNC and want everything done your way.
    Very true, I'm planning on a 3 - 5 month effort once I have my plans nailed down. At the cost of the software thats still cheaper than outright purchase since I'm not a cabinet shop. It's a one -n- done deal. I use other cad/cam software for other uses.

Full fledged cabinet software is very expensive, and for good reason. This is for production shops that need to be able to change things with a few clicks and output G-code direct to their CNC. This software keeps track of hardware specs and all sorts of details that we hobbiest's normally have to go to a spec page to figure out.

I suggest you stick with sketchup or a CAD program. Draftsight is a decent free CAD program if you do not want to spring for Autocad. With Autodesk's new licensing policies you can lease the software for a short period of time. If you have the patience you can learn ecabs, but keep in mind Thermwood is focused on selling their CNC machines, so the software is geared with that in mind. I know it works great for many, but if you do not want to stick to their system it might not work well for you.