Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aging dog and stairs. Help needed.

She can also improvise with using a beach towel or firewood carrier with the strap handles to help guide the dog up/down the stairs. For one of my dogs, I used a doggy life jacket because it had the handle on top and a strap around the chest and belly and she only needed a little bit of help.

I built a ramp for my dog that "smooshed his knee" and went from being able to scale 8' walls to barely being able to climb 1 step. Like Bruce, I started out with two 2" x 12" x 10' planks side-by-side and covered them with indoor/outdoor carpet thinking that would be better traction then astroturf during rainy season. It took several training sessions with him to get him to use it and he needed constant reminders because his brain kept telling him "I can jump them all. I've done that my whole life." The indoor/outdoor carpet wore out and I replaced it with leftover roof shingles for traction. This worked well, but wore down with use and needed to be replaced. Then Dog #2 then needed to use it when age & arthritis crept in. She only used it going up steps. Once again, she needed a bit of training with treats to show her how this is done and "you can do it" and she was off to the races. Meanwhile, I thought Dog #3 was using the ramp to go down the steps "for fun" all these years and it turned out her old shoulder injury while herding sheep was painful for her to go down steps. I never had to train her to use it. She learned by watching the older ones use it. Our new home has more steps, so the ramp is steeper. It became too slippery for Dog #3 now that she's an old lady. I fixed that with using some rolls of 4" safety texture tape and that has held up well so far.

The ramp has served it's purpose many times over.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    They make harnesses with handles to help a dog walk.
    New ethical question : "is he helping that dog?...or using him as a briefcase ?"

We had a 75# yellow lab with the same problem, check out a Rimadyl script from the vet. Night and day difference in the way the dog moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    New ethical question : "is he helping that dog?...or using him as a briefcase ?"
    Joking aside, we looked at this possibility when our late Shepherd's hips started to go and decided it was time to let him go rather than go this route. We also looked at the trolley-type setups. His front half was still strong but no control over the back half. Our house is not that big and we felt that he would be a constant state of anxiety and stress, just trying to move around and crashing into furniture, getting stuck, etc. In other words, his quality of life would not have been improved and maybe even gotten worse. Of course, that is a very personal decision that nobody should make but you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gugel View Post
    We had a 75# yellow lab with the same problem, check out a Rimadyl script from the vet. Night and day difference in the way the dog moved.
    We had good luck with Rimadyl for a while but it became a battle in the end. I guess it tastes terrible. We would wrap it in cheese or peanut butter and that worked for a time but Leonard seemed to get to the point where he resented us trying to administer it every day, which created issues unto itself. No easy answers in any of this.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I did this also and dog would not get on it. Maybe carpet will work
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Raymond,

You have several good pieces of advise already, so I'm instead going to go in a different direction. In addition to devices & systems to help him get upstairs, I would like to recommend something to help him feel better in general. Our cat is 15 and has some arthritic symptoms such as limping and reduced activity level. We started giving him Cosequin (as advertised by Jack Hanna on TV). Within a week he was feeling much better and in 2-3 he was no longer limping at all. His energy level is up, and he seems like he got several years younger. He's even started jumping from my wife's chair to the sofa, a distance of nearly 6'! For us, this medicine has been a miracle. I highly recommend it! It works! http://www.1800petmeds.com/Cosequin-prod10317.html

"I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty