Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedy 300 flexx fuzzy / wavy engraving

Speedy 300 flexx fuzzy / wavy engraving

Hello, my boss purchased a speedy 300 flexx (80w co2, 20w fiber) not too long ago (november last year).

This machine was a floor model and was only a year old before purchase and we've never been able to run it at 80-100% speed and get good quality engraving results.
    Overtime the engraving quality has been getting slowly worse, we engrave lots of trophy plates on gold euro and we cant go much above 30% speed without losing quality, but even at 30% you can still see slight wobbles.

I've attached some images of engraving on black anodised aluminium as an example.

The lens & 2 mirrors were cleaned before I engraved these examples.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Something is loose. I had an issue like that a while ago and the linear rail bearing had failed. Not saying it's that, but it's something like that.

Also check to see if Trotec has a tuning option. It probably does. That might also fix it.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Thanks for replying, I've contacted Trotec here in Australia, so hoping they reply tomorrow. Been lurking on these forums for quite a while, so thought it was about time I posted something here hoping someone would know whats causing this.

There is a chance that your bearings are shot, though your machine is really too new for that. I believe tech support will have you reset your overtook settings.

I am assuming you are using the co2 in this example.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    There is a chance that your bearings are shot, though your machine is really too new for that. I believe tech support will have you reset your overtook settings.

I am assuming you are using the co2 in this example.
    I can tell you our linear bearing went bad very quickly on our LS100. We always assumed it was something else causing the issue because these bearings aren't supposed to go bad, especially in a relatively short amount of time. The thing is, sometimes they are just defective. I've had a Hiwin bearing installed for several years now without an issue.

I'd guess the issue can be corrected via software, but I'd definitely do a physical inspection. A lose lens or mirror could cause this problem. Also if the belt tension is off could also cause the problem.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Yes, that is correct, these examples were done with the co2.

I did talk to a Trotec tech guy today, he did mention it could be the mirrors/lens that are loose which it isn't the case. I'll be sure to ask him what he recons about the bearings though.

IF that thing has servo motors, clean your encoder strip(s).

Another thing to check would be set screws on the belt cogs. And the belt screws. Also check the belt itself, they can tear between teeth, and that can make the belt act like a rubber-band...

If the X rail bearings were bad, I would fully expect bumpy horizontal lines, but they're not, especially noted on the outlined boxes. The fact they don't seem straight in the 125dpi test means nothing IMO, as my LS900 has engraved like that since day one. All the bad is at the ends of the X-travel, which to me boils down to a loose screw, belt, or dirty encoder...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 08-04-2016 at 11:54 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The bearings on this model are enclosed protecting them from contamination. That doesn't eliminate the possibility of wear but I would first check the software adjustments. I have had experience with this issue.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I agree with what is being said. It certainly looks like a mechanical problem! If you have belting on this machine check for "gunk" in the peaks or valleys.
    Also check the pulleys the belts would ride on.
    If it utilizes an encoder strip, clean it AND the contrast reader in which it sets in. Proper belt tension.......sure looks like a physical problem.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Do you get the same issue with the fiber?
    Its quite possible the overtook, accel and Corr settings have been altered before you got it.
    Trotec use servos and rotary encoders sealed on the motor so unlikely to be an encoder issue. Check the motor mounts for any loose fixings.
    With power off and moving the head through its travel you might find rough spots which probably indicate bearings but could be something on the rails, crap build-up on pulleys etc.
    You said cleaned lens and 2 mirrors - there are 3 mirrors so you might have missed mirror 1 on the tube end.

My 2p worth, Good luck.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

My Explorer has rotary encoders. The reason I brought up the encoder is because the Explorer started engraving exactly the same way. There was one difference; the engraving kept working it's way farther left-- but this was during a run of a dozen or so lines of text.

How 'sealed' my servo's are compared to Trotec is anyone's guess, but dirt has a way of finding a way in. When I pulled my servo and opened it up, the disk had a bend in it. Have no clue how that happened. And it had what I would call a 'minor' amount of dust accumulation. I wiped it off, the kink went away, and it's been engraving flawlessly ever since...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

When the machine is on and not running, can you move the laser head or is it a nice firm tight feel? If it moves, then possibly the tension on the x - y axis belts are not tight.

I have been running my machine for over 4 years and I get excellent letter quality. It looks like a mechanical issue, possibly with the belts.

Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

As far as I can tell the head feels tight when the machines on. What sort of quality should I be looking for when running the laser at maximum velocity along the whole table? Ive always thought that you are to expect some wobbles when engraving that fast, although I've heard otherwise from people with the same machine.

I'll have a closer look after work.
    Last edited by Seann Fordham; 08-05-2016 at 1:53 AM.

My Gravo LS900 is 12 years old and the engraving at 72" per second is just as sharp as the 7.2" per second engraving.

I DO have 1 bad spot on the X axis that does show slight wide-spots on text, and that's around the 1.5" to 2" from left edge area, which is just about precisely where the average 'turn around' happens. The constant stress in that area has worn the belt teeth to the point there's slack between the gear and belt teeth. For now I just avoid that area (till I break down and get a new belt)

My point being, it's taken 12 years to develop that tiny bit of 'messy' engraving on my machine-- the engraving the Trotec is showing in those pics is about 100x worse...

That all said, it's my opinion that you should get nothing but pristine engraving at any speed with that machine...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I had a look inside the left hand side panel and noticed that the belt that runs the x axis had some teeth almost completely worn down. I have attached a photo, the bit i'm referring to is at the bottom right of the photo. (sorry, the photo is upside down, the worn teeth are actually at the top in the machine)

Could this be the cause of the problem i'm having?
    Last edited by Seann Fordham; 08-06-2016 at 7:23 AM.