Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection automation - PLC controlled pneumatic dust collection blast gates

Dust collection automation - PLC controlled pneumatic dust collection blast gates

I have six routers in lifts in my shop and the other normal woodworking machines. The routers are used for automotive interior fabrication. I work with MDF a lot. Being realistic with myself, I realized I wouldn't always line the blast gates up for optimal dust collection when switching between routers. So, I decided to automate the dust collection path lineup. My system has two branches in the main header and then a gate for each machine. So, two gates to get to the DC from the machine. I wanted the system to be transparent when in use. The brain is a small PLC (Automation Direct 06). A bit of searching around and I found a gate arrangement I liked. I bought 4" dual acting cylinders for 4" gate and 6" cylinders for the 6" gates. There is a default, deenergized flow path to the base of my Unisaw so the DC doesn't run against a dead head.

This is a video showing the operation of the gate on the bench. I'm waiting on the enclosure to arrive. The plywood is for prototyping.

Last edited by Steven Wayne; 07-31-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Seen these types of pneumatic controlled blast gates done a few times around YouTube. Pretty cool but they require a compressor be running to "power" them right? I hardly ever use my compressor in my shop and definitely wouldnt want to have one running just to power blast gates. But if you have a larger shop (which it sounds like you do) and you have a compressor running all the time anyway, seems like a great way to go! I wish there were electronic solenoids that had such long throws and were dual acting so the same thing could be done but without the need for compressed air.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have air in the shop. The reason I'm doing this is to ensure I'm always collecting as much dust at the point of creation as I can. Automating the gates seemed like the best way to do it. I looked at iVac and others but I didn't see anything I really liked.

Nicely done.

I have 4 that I built .. not as pretty as yours but the work well..

I've got pneumatic as well, some with delay close. To operate I use a dental compressor. Quiet and can be sourced used. Dave

Very nice! I've seen others that made their own gates, but when you can buy ones like those so cheaply, it almost doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    There is a default, reenergized flow path to the base of my Unisaw so the DC doesn't run against a dead head.
    FYI, this isn't really necessary. There is no harm at all in totally restricting air flow. An induction motor runs at nearly the same speed, no matter the load, and does the least amount of work (and consumes the least power) when it isn't moving any air, at all. You should do the opposite: seal everything really well and have no gates open unless necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I've got pneumatic as well, some with delay close. To operate I use a dental compressor. Quiet and can be sourced used. Dave
    I currently have 2 second delay triggered when machine shuts down. Time will tell if that's the right delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Very nice! I've seen others that made their own gates, but when you can buy ones like those so cheaply, it almost doesn't make sense.

FYI, this isn't really necessary. There is no harm at all in totally restricting air flow. An induction motor runs at nearly the same speed, no matter the load, and does the least amount of work (and consumes the least power) when it isn't moving any air, at all. You should do the opposite: seal everything really well and have no gates open unless necessary.
    I think I have about $10/gate or so in the actual gate. I like the aluminum gates for this.

The default flow path is part of how I approached the PLC program.. and, I was hoping it will help keep the Unisaw base clean.. The beauty of a PLC based system is I can change the program!

The actual installation of this system is a TON of work. It's working well enough on the bench that I'm going to move forward. The enclosure will be here this week. I've got a lot of other stuff going on so this will be a couple months to complete.

Nice, I hope your installation goes smoothly. It can be a lot of work, but you'll smile every time you use a machine!

Dan is correct about deadhead- it is actually easiest on the blower motor.

I've been running autogates for about 10 (?) years now they have worked flawlessly since. Since I already had DIY gates made from MDF and laminate, I just added Bimba cylinders. My solenoid air valves are triggered by current sensor switches- much simpler and easier for me to build and install than PLC. There used to be a video of my system on the American Woodworker site but after that mag was purchased by Pop WW and subsequently shuttered, it was gone- my video never made the transition and I somehow lost the original. Here is a thread with some photos and short description- nothing fancy but it works great: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...es-very-clever

Been making some progress on this. Decided to modify the Clearvue 6" S&D gates. That went pretty well.. Still lots to install before I have it going.

A few photos..

dust plc - 5.jpg

dust plc - 7.jpg
    dust plc - 1.jpg
    dust plc - 8.jpg
    dust plc - 9.jpg
    dust plc - 5.jpg
    dust plc - 2.jpg
    dust plc - 3.jpg
    dust plc - 4.jpg

If you are (still) using cylinders with 6" and 4" throws for the same size gates you will not get much of a seal at one edge. I used cylinders with at least and extra 1" or more of throw to provide more sealing surface and adjusted the length of my gate slides for the amount of throw of the particular cylinder. You also might want to rotate your cyclone so you have a straight run of a couple of feet into the intake- supposedly reduces turbulence for better separation.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 04-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Hmm.. I think I'm married to the 4" and 6" cylinders for now.. I already bought them. I'll see how it goes before I change them.

On the cyclone inlet the only thing on the short branch you see is the CNC. The rest runs through the wall and is a decent straight shot. Its what I'm working with. Hopefully it works well. Thus far it's great on the CNC.

Made these 4 square box covers for the router table I/O. This will allow the table to be unplugged should the need arise.

At some point I'll get te rest of the drawer fronts made.

I used current switches for individual machine inputs into the PLC. They work well.

The woodshop..

The system works really well. When I start a tool, the cyclone starts if it's not running and the path is lined up to the tool. There's a photo eye on the dust bin to stop/inhibit starting the cyclone if the bin is full.

Nice setup!!!

Just saw this while researching DC automation.

Very nice work.

I am still in the pondering stage while still building my shop. I like the "air" idea just not sure I want to invest the time. I will probably start with manual operation to get up and running. I do intend to automate my system at some point, whether I buy or make...

Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Just saw this while researching DC automation.

Very nice work.

I am still in the pondering stage while still building my shop. I like the "air" idea just not sure I want to invest the time. I will probably start with manual operation to get up and running. I do intend to automate my system at some point, whether I buy or make...

Thanks for sharing.
    The ivac stuff is really reasonably priced. How well it holds up, I do not know.