Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veneer

Wink Veneer

I'm a furniture maker that is making a furniture line that requires a wood that is stable and can handle the seasonal changes. Does anyone here cut their own veneer and apply it to a substrate? I know you can go online and buy veneer but i'm interested in making my own since my relative has a sawmill and we have a pretty nice growing selection of lumber. The bandsaw i'm currently using is an SCMI SC600, I also have a small widebelt sander and enough room in my shop for a vaccum pump set up. I've used high grade plywood from my local cabinet supply, not impressed with the look or quality. I'm looking to make a thicker more durable veneer than ones currently used in the industry. The whole reason i want to saw my own is because often times veneer is a taboo word. I want to be able to tell my customers that my veneer is handmade and how it better then stuff out on the market. I'm not doing this for cost effectiveness, i'm doing it because i need a wood that is stable, not something that is unpredictable. Any information and tips would be great thanks.
    Last edited by Ian Funk; 07-31-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Shop-sawn veneer is a solution used by many fine furniture makers. You get to make it the thickness you want. And in many species (e.g. walnut) sawn veneer looks like solid lumber, whereas commercial sliced veneer does not. The downside is that making your own is more expensive than using commercial sliced veneer.

I use mostly hardwoods native to where I live in WNY. I prefer shop sawn veneer over commercial stuff. I saw/sand veneer to 1/16" finished thickness. It handles like solid wood which is an advantage for me. I vacuum laminate it onto Baltic birch plywood or MDF using Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue, and the resultant panels look like real wood but are very stable.

If you put a power feeder on your bandsaw you can greatly simplify sawing consistent veneer. I don't have a power feeder on my BS, but I would if I needed to be really efficient at it.

John

i've been using shop sawn veneers for many years on furniture - the saw is a mm16 with a 1" carbide blade (resaw king) so the cut is pretty smooth -
    using the double bevel cutting method i also do marquetry and resaw the veneers to 5/64. i use a vacuum press and unibond to glue it down to either baltic birch or mdf - using bags so when i'm not gluing they can hang on the wall be out of the way.
    i agree with john that a power feeder would be great but am a 1 person shop and just don't need that kind of production.
    jerry
    jerry

A problem with shop sawn veneer is that the two faces don't match exactly. Commercial veneer is sliced, not sawn, so the two faces are exact matches. This only affects you when you're doing certain designs in veneer.

But commercial veneer is very good. The veneer people get the best logs so the figure and pattern is usually much better than you can get from logs available to you. Thicker veneer has certain advantages - it can be sanded a lot more than the thin commercial stuff.

There's nothing wrong with veneer in furniture, if you use a good substrate, good glue, and good practices. It opens up design opportunities that you couldn't do with solid wood.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Veneer shouldn't be considered taboo; it's been in use for centuries. The idea that it was "cheap" came about when the first production furniture appeared in the late 19th and early 20th century with the Industrial revolution.
    Anyway, sawing your own veneer from trees available has its appeal, but you do have to deal with getting it sawn to usable size, stacked, stickered, turned over and restacked & stickered etc. until dried to a usable MC, usually over a year without a kiln. Then you have to resaw it and if you're book matching, you may not get the match you want as Mike points out. This equates to a lot of time- can your product price bear it?
    Commercial veneer is available in thicker sizes and you can probably get a flitch sliced to spec., I'd call around to various veneer suppliers to see what they have to offer.
    But, you should saw a bit of your own material for the experience.I say go for it.

Here is the vac pump I made kind of following the Joewoodworkers site. I also use it when a cabinet side is showing rather than using what comes with plywood. DaveDSC04253.jpgDSC04257.jpg

My project was just a one-off and pretty small potatoes compared to what you want to do, but since you're asking I'm guessing it can't hurt to share. I made a mid-century modern type of bookcase, based on IKEA's Valje model. Instead of particle board, however, I used 3/4" birch ply as a substrate and then covered parts of it with a Douglas fir veneer that I created by resawing from 4/4 and then planing down to 3/32" using an elevated feed deck in my DW735. I don't have a vacuum system so I opted to go with contact cement, applying the veneer like a laminate but using a veneer roller instead of a j-roller so I could get more pressure. Because of the stability of the plywood substrate I'm not too worried about cracks in the veneer caused by differences in expansion/contraction rates between the fir and birch ply. It's only been about 4-5 months since this piece has been in-use, and no signs of cracks or splits yet.

Have a gander through a project I did several years ago sawing my own veneer.

In my experience, "veneer" is wood that is <=1/16" HOWEVER, even wood at 1/16" can still move things. I don't recall if I mentioned it in the above thread but I had two 5/8" pieces of MDF about 16" x 36" that I sandwiched together. Next, I glued some of my shop-sawn 1/16" walnut veneer to one-side only and the next day, the walnut had pulled the flat MDF sandwich out about an 1/8" bow: from | to (. I was completely shocked. So the rule is to always balance the veneer on your substrate. Put the show stuff on the good side and the so-so stuff on the other side. As long as they are the same thickness, your substrate should stay flat.

Now I'm going to guess that thinner commercial veneer probably wouldn't have pulled the MDF sandwich out of flat. Just something to keep in mind.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Have a gander through a project I did several years ago sawing my own veneer.

In my experience, "veneer" is wood that is <=1/16" HOWEVER, even wood at 1/16" can still move things. I don't recall if I mentioned it in the above thread but I had two 5/8" pieces of MDF about 16" x 36" that I sandwiched together. Next, I glued some of my shop-sawn 1/16" walnut veneer to one-side only and the next day, the walnut had pulled the flat MDF sandwich out about an 1/8" bow: from | to (. I was completely shocked. So the rule is to always balance the veneer on your substrate. Put the show stuff on the good side and the so-so stuff on the other side. As long as they are the same thickness, your substrate should stay flat.

Now I'm going to guess that thinner commercial veneer probably wouldn't have pulled the MDF sandwich out of flat. Just something to keep in mind.
    Oh yes, there is that part of it too- always balance both sides of the lay-up. The general recommendation is with the same material at the same thickness. More sawing.....
    Since the subject of not being happy with the veneers avaliable on sheet stock, it bears pointing out that most of the veneer leaves you buy are usually between 1/40" to 1/50"- far thicker than what you get on sheet stock, which has been sanded pretty thin.
    Since I buy my most of my veneer, I will also buy lower cost " balance" leaves from my supplier. No troubles so far.

Is air dried veneer dry enough or does it need to be kiln dried before applying to a substrate. I'm thinking it doesn't - the glue I would assume would add moisture to the veneer as well.

Certainly wood has quite a few species in up to 1/16" thick. I would make sure making your own veneers is the cost effective for a business application where I assume you are tracking your time. Keep in mind that veneer companies only take the very best logs to make veneers and they a premium for those logs. The logs they buy are not even an option for most sawmills because those who harvest them know where to go to get the most money. The thicker veneers they sell tend not to have the nice figure of the thinner options. If they used the premium logs to make thick veneers I doubt anyone would buy them due to the cost of the veneer. Yield is a paramount concern for them.

Many real wood veneers are not sanded. They use razor sharp blades that cut the wood exactly like you get it. Here is a rather lengthy video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP6R0qBmjTI

I agree with Chris on the thickness aspect. Some woods you can get away with a little thicker, but I have veneered with some Cumaru, and it has been a beast until I got the thickness down to less than 1/16".

Anyone that argues about veneers not being used in fine furniture should look at some of Craig Thibodeau's work on the woodweb. If any of those were made with only real wood I doubt anyone but Dennis Zongker's billionaire clients could afford them.

I see a benefit to thicker veneers for doors, and other items that are subject to more abuse, but for a lot of projects it is not always necessary. I tried sanding thru a 1/42" veneer with a 5" orbital sander flat on the veneer like suggested in a veneer book I read years ago, and I gave up after 5min or so. Now if you rotate your sander 45deg and hit an edge like one might do to try to fix a problem, you can go thru in very short order. With a vacuum press, uniform substrate, quality veneer, and tight veneer joints, sanding should primarily be to get the stock ready for the finish.

If you simply enjoy the process and do not track your time, then I admit it is relaxing to cut your own veneers. I have a power feeder and that does make it easier.

Chris,

Contrary to your supposition, an unbalanced panel with sliced veneer will behave the same way as one with thicker material, though perhaps less drastically.

Ian,

The veneer mills pay a serious premium for the best logs To maximize ther ROI they slice the baloney as thin as their equipment will let them, typically 1/42" in the US. I have read that some Japanese mills go as thin as 1/50". (Standard veneer thickness at one time was 1/28".) Starting at .022-.023" means that the leaves must be sliced very cleanly to allow for sanding to a smooth surface, and anyone who has done considerable veneering knows that some flitches have enough tearout that achieving that result can leave a paper thin layer. In fact, paperback veneer typically comes through with the wood thickness at .010", on a .010" backing. So there is a real argument to be made for shop-sawn veneer in that it can be re-sanded and re-finished with more confidence, plus it can be tooled for texture (stamping, light relief carving) while still retaining the stability of veneer. The drawbacks are much increased labor costs and pattern shift from leaf to leaf.

Hey thanks for all the responses everyone! I think i'm going to try and see how shop-sawn veneer goes. It's not that the quality of commercial veneers are bad, I just find some of them, not all, really bland and without character. I like the idea of have a thicker veneer, maybe a little under 1/16 of an inch. I'll try it out, track my time and cost, and see how it goes, thanks everyone

IMG_3948 (Small).JPG

Nope, they are not all bland! One issue is that it is not easy to find the solid form of the wood you might be interested in.

Tony