Thread: CNC jotty

CNC jotty

I'm very new to CNC work. I have a home built system that I purchased from a guy off craigslist. Came with computer and software to run it. Purchased in full working order and demoed the unit before purchase. I put it on a trailer and drove it back to my shop. Total drive was 4 hours. Once unloaded and working through the learning curve of gcode and creating tool paths, I was up and running. However I've noted here and there parts of arcs were straight and portions of letters are not fluid. I initially thought it was how I was bringing in DXF files or something wasn't getting down saved correctly in order to generate a working tool path. So I loaded one of the demo files that is with the software, knowing fully that this was set up correctly. Well to my disappointment this didn't work well at all either. The machine runs DeskCNC for routing and which also generates its own tool paths within. I guess what I'm getting at is do you think the failure of the smooth operation is the stepper motors not communicating correctly between the software / hardware? Upgrading / replacing? Has anyone else experienced similar situation ? Could it simply be dirty? I certainly hope it isn't the case as I feel if I were doing a full 4'x8' sheet it will not finish the job w/o have an issue.

IMG_5051.jpg
    center is supposed to be a circle.
    ULS 25-E
    Mimiaki JV3-160s
    Graphtec Plotter:
    FC 5100-150
    2100-90A
    HP 5000

Looks like it could be a combination of things.
    Lost steps, machine flex, backlash.

How big is the machine?
    Can you post some pics?
    Do you have specs on the motors and drives?
    How is the machine driven? Ballscrews? Rack and pinion?
    Gerry

JointCAM

I'll post some pics on Monday. I'm out until then

Looks like post steps. Make sure every coupler set screw is tight.