I have only had my CNC for about 4mo or so now. I have never been a big fan of MDF or PB, but the more I work with my new machine the more I understand the benefits. The plywood I buy at the hardware store (baltic birch, domestic's or imports) is simply not usable for much of what I want to use the CNC for. I completed one project where I had a minor mistake in my tool paths, so I had to buy an extra sheet to recut some parts. I wound up milling the new plywood sheet to match the thickness of the parts already made so they would fit into the dado slots. I am not prepared to give up plywood (getting closer), but it seems I will have to start ordering better material. I live in a small community, so I have to order from a distance. To keep the costs reasonable I have to buy from a wholesaler. I found a plywood Columbia Forests makes that I would like to try, but it is not a stock item so I cannot measure any sample sheets. Since it is a custom order I will need to purchase a complete lift of 30 sheets. Its a bit on the expensive side, so I am wondering if others have tried the better plywood grades and if so, did it save enough of the headaches to justify the cost.

I am looking at the Purebond J Classic Core: http://www.columbiaforestproducts.co.../classic-core/

I did notice the MDF cores. It makes sense that it will be easier for them to produce a more consistent thickness with those, so I will have to live with that. Maybe it is time to move past my silly hang ups about PB? Some of the thermo fused laminate options are pretty awesome, and the idea of deleting the finish step is pretty darn enticing.

Thanks