Thread: Panel flattening hand plane video

Panel flattening hand plane video

https://youtu.be/SED7B65cppM

First video with this camera. Sorry, I forgot to turn the mic on. Sharpening video coming that I did remember the mic on.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-28-2016 at 8:49 AM.

This is the last of 32 panels that this thread was about: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...in-a-days-work
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-28-2016 at 3:18 PM.

I don't have any criticism. It looks good to me.

I'm going to have to get ahold of some of that cypress. I have not used it, but in some of the stuff Brian Holcombe has done, and what you are doing there it looks like a great wood.

I did not mean to kill your thread Tom. I thought it was interesting.

I doubt it was your fault. I guess it's pretty dull without sound. It should make me remember to turn the mic on every time from now on. I should have saved two panels, in case I messed up, which I did. I was talking the whole time too, which I normally don't do much of. I don't know how to do any editing yet, so this is just straight out of the camera.

I needed to left hand the other side a little more with the finishing planes, but shavings are knee deep on that side, and I didn't know how it would show up in the video if I stopped to turn the panel around so I could hit it left handed on the same side with my back to the camera.

Who needs a straightedge when you've got a flat plane sole? :-)

These don't have to be flat like you might want for high quality furniture. In fact, it will be better if they don't look so new, and perfect. Nothing else about the old house is, and we want them to not look like new replacements, but that they came with the house. These shutters are going on the house we put the Cypress shingle roof on, that you can see on my website. I don't know that there is a good exterior picture of that house on my site yet, but the best one so far is probably on the Chimney Flashing page.

You might notice that they are not glued up with growth rings going opposite directions like you would want on a table top. In 1850, they wouldn't have used glued up panels, but rather one wide board. I just used some of the boards we had left over from making shingles for the panels. I glued them up so that whatever bowing they do over the years, it won't be in an S curve, and hopefully look more like one wide board.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-28-2016 at 8:48 PM.