Thread: Patio Heater Experience?

Patio Heater Experience?

Seems like a crazy thought on a day like today but since all the big box stores are clearing everything out now would be the time to act.

We've been spending a lot of time in the evenings out on our patio reading, surfing, talking, enjoying adult beverages, etc. We have a fire pit but its not actually great for keeping warm, especially if its breezy. Plus we smell like smoke after of course. I was thinking of picking up a patio heater--the post style that holds a tank in the bottom and has a heater up above. Prices of course are all over the map but I'm thinking about buying a cheap one and seeing if it meets our needs this fall and if we really use it. Anyone have experience with these that can offer any advise?

We have two. We have a large patio though, probably 15'x20' covered with a pergola and some metal roof material. We also live in Arizona which is worth noting. I was born here so winter time here is damn cold for me.

The enclosed part helps a lot but the heaters work wonders. I don't know your setup but we are pleased with ours. We spend a lot of time out there. In the winter/spring (we don't really have a spring or fall here), we eat out there on one of the tables nightly for dinner instead of the house.

Again, it's a covered patio so keep that in mind, I think that helps things.

Ours is strictly outdoors, uncovered. I'm familiar with them because a lot of restaurants up here use them to extend the time they can use their outdoor seating but I'm guessing those are commercial grade models.

I found out the closest Walmart has them on clearance for $63 (gotta get those Christmas displays up!) so we bought one. We shouldn't actually need it for about 6-8 weeks, but they won't be available by then. This one looks to be similar if not the same as the one twice the price at Lowes and the one I was looking at on Amazon. I assembled it last night and tested with a borrowed propane tank. Looks like it will work out well to give us a fairly inexpensive way to try one out. If it doesn't hold up and we like having it, we can investigate a more expensive one in a year or two. Hopefully by storing it in the shed during the seasons we don't need it it will last a little longer.

I don't have any ownership experiences although a few years back I was in Asheville, NC in the late fall and the local coffee chain had these on their patio. The 2-3 heaters really did a nice job keeping us warm while drinking a couple drinks. Ambient temp was in the mid-40's.
    Mac

I don't have much experience with patio heaters in particular, but regarding similar heaters, typically, heat is heat. The issue is if it's NOISY heat.

Some of the propane heaters hiss way too loudly for my taste, while some are dead silent. Not sure of why, but before I'd spend money on a patio heater I'd like to know how loud it is...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

These are quiet--no fan or anything. Its not like those old Desco torpedo heaters that were of similar design to a jet engine.