Thread: Trotec vs Universal

Trotec vs Universal

As a general purpose laser, which would you buy?

Trotec Speedy 360 (32"x20" bed, 11" height, sonar focus, 80 watt) = $26,550
    Universal VLS 6.60 32"x18", 8" height, 60 watt) = $19,100

Almost a $7500 difference...

Most other features are similar (I think) unless any readers know of something specific. Thanks!

I would recommend you look at all of the other (brand) vs (brand) threads and come up with your own conclusion.

VLS laser line is entry line of ULS lasers. Get the price of PLS line and ask for 80 watts tube (75 watt may be max in this category).
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

James it appears you started the EXACT SAME thread earlier this year?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...versal-VLS6-60
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

How can the post counts for both his posts only be 3? Seems like he makes one post and then leaves.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    James it appears you started the EXACT SAME thread earlier this year?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...versal-VLS6-60
    Good catch. My opinion in that thread remains the same.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Market research...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

That is a smoking price on the VLS ! Ive never had them price on that low. Where did you get that quote, which show?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I don't think that is a hot price on the uls but it doesn't matter. You are not comparing apples to apples. You need to do some homework.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    That is a smoking price on the VLS ! Ive never had them price on that low. Where did you get that quote, which show?
    That was a 25% discount off of the list price at the sign show in Orlando. I had to put a hold on it for several months, but they now updated the quote to 19,995 which makes the gap between that and the Trotec a little smaller.. It seems that the general consensus is that the Trotec is a much higher quality machine. I am willing to pay a few extra grand for that quality if that is the opinion of other users like those in this forum.

Yes, I did post in here back when we originally saw the units at the Orlando sign show, when I posted here I forgot that it was this forum group that I had posted to. We had to postpone the purchase and are now going back to make a final selection. Hopefully once we get the machine and get working with it I will be more active on the forum. It seems like most people in the forum here are partial to Trotecs and I got the general feel that they were built better when seeing both of them at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pena View Post
    Yes, I did post in here back when we originally saw the units at the Orlando sign show, when I posted here I forgot that it was this forum group that I had posted to. We had to postpone the purchase and are now going back to make a final selection. Hopefully once we get the machine and get working with it I will be more active on the forum. It seems like most people in the forum here are partial to Trotecs and I got the general feel that they were built better when seeing both of them at the show.
    ULS doesn't come with air assist at that price point. That's ~$2000. So now you're $22k vs $26.5. So you have to figure if 20W, faster speed, and lower operating cost is worth $4.5k. No one can make that decision for you but you.

I bought the exact laser you're looking at used 18 months ago. It's fine but I don't value it at $20k. I think the drive system especially is way under engineered. Rubber rollers on anodized aluminum rails with almost toy quality belts is more of an issue than I imagined.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving