Thread: Flat Crown Molding Question

Flat Crown Molding Question

I need help! I'm going to install crown molding in our living area. It will be flat (Craftsman Style). The problem is, the floor is level, but the ceiling isn't parallel to the floor. There is probably a distance of 1.5" between the lowest end to the highest. The molding won't ever have to meet itself (It won't be a circuit since the molding doesn't enclose the room. Do I "follow" the ceiling"? The longest distance is 33 feet on one side. It appears the old crown molding followed the ceiling rather then being level to with the floor. Should I do the same? Additionally, the molding will be 5.5 inches wide and 13/16" thick.
    Thanks in advance!
    Tom

Follow the ceiling, that is the closest reference to the eye.

Not sure how you determined the out of parallel but I doubt you noticed it before taking any measurements or checked for level.

If for some reason you decided to set the crown parallel to the floor..... believe me, you'd notice that 1-1/2" gap at the ceiling.

thomas l. miller

Thanks Tom. I understand. I used a laser level to find out things were out of parallel. Sometimes I "confuse precision with accuracy"
    Tom

I wonder if you have windows &/or doors in the wall where you are installing the crown? If so, the slope of the crown molding will be made more obvious by the header casing.

In that case I would probably scribe the crown to the ceiling or add a scribe block to the ceiling.

Declare it to be a feature rather than a bug. Part of the charm of old house living. Keep it parallel to the ceiling, otherwise it will be painfully obvious. I find tapered trim to be a lot more grating than out of parallel trim, YMMV.

Thanks Brad and Roger. I think you're right. I'm going to stick with the ceiling. When it's finished, I'll post a picture.
    Thanks again,
    Tom