Thread: Vicmarc Chucks Safety Ring

Vicmarc Chucks Safety Ring

Is anyone familiar with the Vicmarc VM150 and VM120 Chucks and the ability to turn in reverse? I'm considering purchasing one or both of them and I saw on the Vicmarc website that there is a Safety Ring that is used to lock the VM150 chuck while turning in reverse. If that is the case, is it required also for the VM120. The Vicmarc website should provide more information, but like many companies today they are more interested in the "Add To Cart" box. Any help will be appreciated.

I've got a bunch of 120's and I've never seen a safety ring.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I think that is a feature of their lathes. They have additional facility to lock the chuck.

The Vicmarc safety ring is a two piece ring held together with Allen head bolts. It has a tapered groove inside that matches the spindle and the chuck grooves making it impossible for the chuck to unthread itself when turning in revers. This safety ring is designed for use on Vicmarc lathes. I use mine whenever I turn large heavy lumps of timber, it works, I had a big lump of timber come loose once when shutting off the lathe, inertia and imbalance kept the lump turning as the e-brake slowed the shaft. I have had a local machine shop make an adaptor that locks a Stronghold chuck to a Vicmarc Lathe.
    The ring takes a few minutes to put on but the security of it is excellent. Turn safe and have fun.

Thanks for the response
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilel Salomon View Post
    I've got a bunch of 120's and I've never seen a safety ring.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Bert is on the money- to be able to fit & use the Vicmarc safety ring the lathe spindle must have a Vee groove machined in the lathe spindle to match. This is my VL150 plus a screen shot from the 2013 Vicmarc Lathe Owners Manual. All of the newer spindle /chuck inserts and lathes have that feature - older Vicmarc lathes won't have the Vee groove in the spindle.

VL150_spindle.jpgVicmarc Safety Ring - 2013 Manual.jpg

From a safety view point - why do you want to turn in reverse?

I question the value of turning in reverse, with the current designs of lathes and chuck systems. Sanding occasionally for nasty grain that won't respond to traditional sanding perhaps, but not turning.

Another factor turners should be mindful of is that electric motors are fan cooled - I often wonder how efficient that fan is when the a VFD controlled motor is running in reverse for long periods especially under high loads, at lower rpm than their design speed and with increased current to provide higher torque?
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 07-25-2016 at 4:16 PM.

Hi Geoff, I don't wish to turn in reverse. Sanding is my only concern. Thanks for your input
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post
    Bert is on the money- to be able to fit & use the Vicmarc safety ring the lathe spindle must have a Vee groove machined in the lathe spindle to match. This is my VL150 plus a screen shot from the 2013 Vicmarc Lathe Owners Manual. All of the newer spindle /chuck inserts and lathes have that feature - older Vicmarc lathes won't have the Vee groove in the spindle.

VL150_spindle.jpgVicmarc Safety Ring - 2013 Manual.jpg

From a safety view point - why do you want to turn in reverse?

I question the value of turning in reverse, with the current designs of lathes and chuck systems. Sanding occasionally for nasty grain that won't respond to traditional sanding perhaps, but not turning.

Another factor turners should be mindful of is that electric motors are fan cooled - I often wonder how efficient that fan is when the a VFD controlled motor is running in reverse for long periods especially under high loads, at lower rpm than their design speed and with increased current to provide higher torque?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruffin View Post
    Hi Geoff, I don't wish to turn in reverse. Sanding is my only concern. Thanks for your input
    I have a Vicmarc 120 Chuck. I really like it compared to my Nova chucks. Heavy duty, solid and precise Chuck.
    I sand in reverse on every turning. Never had an issue. I do not use any plastic washer either. Just ensure the Chuck is mounted on tight when installing. I sand at a low speed. Less then 150 rpm. I use the Chuck key for untightening the Chuck for removal.

all the best
    curt
    Last edited by Curtis Myers; 07-25-2016 at 8:40 PM.