Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About to do a complete 180 on my life. Can I start by introducing myself?

Hey Bert! Thanks for your reply. I think we're going to end up with a 120 watt Trotec Speedy 400. We were thinking about the Speedy 500, most of our sheets are 4x8 feet and the pass through feature with that is amazing. However the price difference between both models is out of our budget. I'm getting into musical parts. Guitar parts and bodies. Drum gear. Thinking about laser working on guns. And more then likely rastering accent cabinet doors, and maybe even glass????

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    We're living the 'american dream', self employed, working from home, make pretty good money...

We started buying our retirement toys 11 years ago. Got a stockpile of toys many people can't believe. We have everything we could ask for....

Except TIME....

Good luck with your new venture!
    Thank you kindly Kev! Your lifestyle is something i'd love to work towards achieving.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Welcome Alex!

Expect to work double the hours for half the pay the first few years. After that you might make it back to the 55k you're making now at your current job if you work hard. Make sure you can afford to live on $20-$30k for a few years while you work more hours than you ever thought you would.

The situation you describe of working nights weekends etc during holidays is everyday owning your own business, except it's every week, not just during the holidays. In the end it can be very rewarding working for yourself, but a much longer road than most people expect. Be sure you are ready for it.
    Thanks for the insight Keith, i'll be sure to work just as smart as I will hard. If hard work was all it took to have the life you wanted, the average labourer would be rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stevens-Vegas View Post
    Keith makes a couple of great points that can't be emphasised enough. It sounds like the OP has enough of a cushion/backstop from the family business to help see him through. Many talk about the "freedom" of owning a business but in many ways one is less free.

Mr OP, what is it you are going to do with this Trotec?
    Hey Dave! Asides from doing rastering work for the family business, i'm looking to get into guitar/drum parts, stenciling, maybe gun work. Few other ideas i'm contemplating in my head. I'm in a position to do anything. Just trying to find something that is profitable, and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    I don't think a laser is your best purchase... a 2 1/2 d CnC overhead router is much better for wood than a laser .. especially since you intend to go into kitchen and bespoke cupboards
    We actually own a Thermwood cnc router. We may lose it however in a business partner change, if that happens then i'd have to fill in the gap and we can begin the hunt for a new CNC Router. Which of course would send me back here for some personal opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Davis - Sturgis SD View Post
    Hi Alex,

I think I understand, you're young, educated, successful in retail, artistic, hate your job. You somewhat are in a position to design your own job. This is excellent. I was never in business with my family, sometimes that works, sometimes not so much.

I say say the most important thing is to find something you really enjoy. Where being at work is more fun than a 3 day weekend at the lake. I think you will really have fun with a new Trotec laser. It will give your artistic side an outlet. The cool things you can do with it are limited only by your imagination.

On the laser forums I see so many new people buying in on a shoestring budget. When something goes wrong it puts them under severe financial pressure which they can't overcome. This does not seem to be the situation in your case. I say GET THE LASER and don't look back. After a year you'll want a Cnc router also, lol.

Im an old guy who's been fortunate to enjoy every job I've ever had. I loved my first job so much I worked 7 days a week for two years, not a single day off, not even holidays until the boss made me take a day off. After 10 years in that job I became my own boss. Now in "semi-retirement" I have combined the things I love into the most unique retail setting you will ever see. Recently I developed an interest in leather, so I set up the most incredible leather workshop, all on display in my store so customers can watch things being made.

Sorry for for getting a little off track, I wish I was young again, and could know what I know now, lol.

Bob
    Hey Bob! Thanks so much for your reply! Wow sounds like you're working on some incredible things! I would love to know more about what you do in a private message.

Wow to love something enough to never take a day off in 2 years... That sounds incredible! You must of found your ultimate love.

Your boss must of LOVED you!