Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I use solid wood for the top panels on this table?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I do think that solid wood panels are fine for this application as long as you properly account for seasonal expansion. I think having the removable planks being oriented lengthwise (longest top dimension) makes the most sense for this so as to minimize the seasonal change effect on the top. I also think that having a tongue and groove joint to connect the panels side by side is far preferable to just the rabbet method as this will help control (a little) any propensity of the top panels to warp (big concern with planks made from solid lumber as compared to plywood). The spring feature is a nice thing!
    What Pat says ^ - also the tenon will register the top alignment of the boards better than a rabbet. As for the long way or short way I think your preference could be your guide. Three sections of short boards are easier to keep flat then the longer boards but the fewer longer boards means less width, so less cross grain movement. Kind of a toss up - to my way of thinking. I would have no problem with either.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I do think that solid wood panels are fine for this application as long as you properly account for seasonal expansion. I think having the removable planks being oriented lengthwise (longest top dimension) makes the most sense for this so as to minimize the seasonal change effect on the top. I also think that having a tongue and groove joint to connect the panels side by side is far preferable to just the rabbet method as this will help control (a little) any propensity of the top panels to warp (big concern with planks made from solid lumber as compared to plywood). The spring feature is a nice thing!
    Ah okay, so the tongue and groove would help with reducing possible warping. Got it. Alright I think I can do that, thank!

It would be worthwhile to know how much seasonal change you need to account for with the wood you are planning to use. Not sure where to find info like that though