Thread: Cut Orientation Cherry Crotch

Cut Orientation Cherry Crotch

Help. Have a cherry stump/crotch that I want to cut for bowl blanks. Not sure which orientation has the greatest likelyhood of giving the best figure. See the two pics,
    1A 1B orientation or 2A 2B? Help. I could end up with firewood if I cut it wrong.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

If 1A/1B equals splitting the two tall branches in the second picture down the middle, I believe that you will get the most figure. Once split, you might find diagonal cutting of some pen blanks will bring out more figure.

Bruce

Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Hi Ernie,

You have presented great pictures but I can't see the pith of the main trunk. What I do is line up the pith of the main trunk with the pith of two major limbs in an attempt to get the classic "Y" grain figure showing. In view "1" I would trim the ends of the two tallest limbs close to what the edge of the largest circle that can be drawn on that side of the log. In other words the outline of the largest bowl that can be turned incorporating the two limbs. You will no doubt find that the width of the piece will limit the length that will be used. I measure the width of the piece then measure from the bottom of the crotch between the limbs and mark the trunk for the maximum size bowl I can expect to make. Then I cut off the trunk about an inch longer than the mark. Then line up the pith of the trunk with the pith of the two limbs for making the cut.

With the piece you have, there are so many possibilities that you are going to have to take your chances and learn from your choice. Remember that there can be hidden defects that could render the whole piece fire wood anyway. Of course it is possible that it doesn't make any difference which way you cut it to yield great looking bowls.

Although the piece looks to be dry I would still soak the roughed out piece in denatured alcohol to be on the safe side with crotch wood.

The next time I am in the Tri-Cities area I will have to look you up. That wood pile looks like more than you can handle by yourself.

Dave Smith

Recovering from a weekend show in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Bruce, Dave,
    Thank you both so much.
    Bruce, I will definitely get some pen blanks out of this, at least of the off-cuts and appreciate the suggestion about cutting on an angle. Dave, you are correct in that I would really like to get the classic "Y" grain figure.
    Bill Grumbine suggested a hollow form since I don't know how far the punky wood extends into the center trunk.
    Dave, I will trim off the long pieces as you suggest and see if its solid. I don't have any hollow form tooling yet (am considering Lyle Jamieson's boring bar setup) and asked Bill for a suggestion. Lacking the boring bar/hollow form tooling, will take a look after triming the longest ends. I take it that you meant to visualize where the main trunk pith appears to intersect the pith from the two limbs?
    Give me a days notice so I can clean the shop next time you expect to get to this side of the hill (Tricities) and you can have your pick of the wood pile. I look forward to your visit.
    Ernie

Hi Ernie,

I too liked the photo's and I hope this post will get to you in time. I hate to be the doom sayer but, It looks alot like smooth bark Cherry is that correct?
    If so don't waist your time on it. It likes to come apart in the lathe. This type of cherry is also known to many as the lathe rocket. It is not like wild or ruff bark cherry. I have seen a perfectly good piece like yours fly into 4 pieces as the centrifical force of the lathe sent it flying. The lathe was only at about 900 rpm

I hope its not but if it is Fireword is a good place for it

good luck
    Keith

It looks like domestic or fruit cherry to me. I have turned a lot of that type of cherry and the only time it flew off the lathe was by opertaor inducement.

Dave Smith

My bowl launches are preceeded by a catch in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

I think its fruit cherry but, Kieth's warning is a welcome reminder to stand out of the "line of fire" when starting up the lathe. I intend to take the chainsaw to it tomorrow as too many "but firsts" got in the way today. Will let you know what happened, late tomorrow.
    Again, thank you both.
    Ernie

Guys,
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Took the chainsaw to it this morning and thought I might have gotten 4 blanks but, they were all so punky, wouldn't take faceplate screws. Tried drive center but it buried itself into the wood, looked like a counter bore.
    Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. At least the barby doll chain saw (Poulan-Wild Thing-Green and Purple) worked without a hitch.
    Firewood. Round pieces. They will fit in the stove this winter.
    Again, thank you all.

Till the next adventure.

Ernie