Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowl from a Board Cutting

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    [snip]
    I think the scroll saw approach is great (the tool formerly known as a jigsaw). I don't have one because mine did not survive my recent downsizing. It didn't make it here because of space limitations in my new shop. Your advice will cause me to reconsider.
    [snip]
    Here's one for the trivia enthusiasts. I used the two terms interchangeably until a few years ago, when I was politely corrected as I was calling around for parts to repair an old bench jigsaw. A jigsaw has one motor-powered arm to pull the blade down, and a spring-actuated opposite arm to pull it back with each stroke. A scroll saw has two parallel arms that both move in unison under motor power. I'm told the scroll saw gives a smoother cut because tension on the blade is more consistent. I think both would be fine for roughing out rings in your application.

The problem with a scroll saw is that the ring cutting can be very slow going if you have harder woods to cut through. About the beefiest scroll saw blade around is the Olson "Thick Wood" blade. I did some bowl from a boards using 3/4" thick strips of hard maple and walnut glued together and cut them out through angled holes on my DeWalt scroll saw. The blades cut through the walnut fairly easily but cutting through the maple was sometimes pretty painful and pretty frequent blade changes were needed.

I thought about trying it with a jigsaw sometime but I have never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Leo,

I looked at each picture you posted, and was blinded by the quality of those bowls but could not see an answer to my query. Now I see your point, and I drilled down far enough into the forum posts to see how he does it. Thank you very much. Do you know what he uses for a cutter?

Doug
    Doug I assumed that people where not going to read all the posts, so that is why I put up the last picture of the drill wizard he is using with the cutter in it.

I am not sure what he was using, but it could be that he used a metal lathe cutoff tool, though cutting a circle with a flat cutter is of course problematic, as it would bind easily and he wanted to keep the kerf as narrow as he could, 3/32” wide.

He might well have ground the shape on the cutter so it has a more or less curved shape, but like I said I do not remember, sorry
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 07-18-2016 at 12:07 AM.
    Have fun and take care