Thread: Sanding sealer

Sanding sealer

I have been using Mylands sanding sealer. I have been reading many people make there own.
    Does anyone have a simple proven formula. It seems $20 for 16 oz is a little high.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

"Sanding sealer" is a marketing name for "take more money from the dude/dudette that's buying the finishing supplies". The one exception would be vinyl sealer used with certain solvent lacquer finishing products.

Yes, you can make your own sealer. Many of us just use de-waxed shellac for this purpose, particularly when dissimilar or incompatible products are needed during the finishing process. And example would be water soluble dye to be top coated with a product that might dissolve the dye. De-waxed shellac can seal the dye so that subsequent steps don't interfere with the dye. Most finishes are already "self sealing" since they are film finishes and you can sand all of them. Unless there's a specific need for a "high solids" product to add grain filling capability, just use your intended finishing product to seal the project; lightly abrade to knock down grain raise and continue with your coats until done.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, I agree with the marketing ploy, in my reading I have seen many formulas 1 to 1, 2 to 1 ect. Also enough
    different components to make my head spin. I am looking for a way to make a pint or quart of something I can keep on the shelf and use as needed. I would also like to be able to replenish when low.

Kevin, Jim is on the money here. Most finishes are best used as their own sealer. Cheers

Well heck - I just bought a $35 gallon.

I was told that SS helped soft wood like pine absorb stain more evenly. Is that not the case? Is SS a waste?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Palmer View Post
    I was told that SS helped soft wood like pine absorb stain more evenly. Is that not the case? Is SS a waste?
    As previously stated, "sanding sealer", outside of some specialized products tied to nitrocellulose lacquer, is just a way to take more money directly out of your wallet by the finish manufacturer. "Sanding sealer" wouldn't be any better with controlling stain absorption than any other finishing product that's thinned out. In fact, it might not work as well because it (is supposed to have) has more solids to "fill grain", etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...