Thread: Run In with roofing metal manufacturer today

Run In with roofing metal manufacturer today

I ordered, and received shipment of a batch of roofing metal for a standing seam roof rolled by JD Metals . We were well into the process when the next step was putting on the hip caps. This is not the first one of these roofs I've installed. Other similar roofs I've installed have withstood hurricanes with more than minimum hurricane force winds, with no damage.

Once the standing seam panels are installed, with no exposed fasteners, there are right angle bent "Z closure" strips screwed down to attach the caps (ridge or hip) to.

This is the first time I've bought metal from this company. I have always before, and just like the drawing in this company's installation manual showed, slid the cap over the outward pointing leg of the Z Closure strips. Every other manufacturers installation instructions show this in exactly the same manner.

To be able to do that, the hem (lower edges) of the cap cannot be bent completely shut, but enough room has to be left for it to slide over the metal of the Z strip.

These were folded all the way flat, and tight. I tried to open one up a little, but it would take a lot of time, not be a clean and neat job, and impossible to seat the leg of the Z bar all the way in.

I went to the supplier and talked to them. The Manager and all the salesmen came over, and everyone not only agreed that I was correct, but that was how they had always explained to customers how to install a ridge or hip cap on a standing seam roof.

My salesman called the company, talked to some guy, and ended up having me talk to him.

The company salesman said that you had to specify when you order it if you don't want the hem tightly folded. The supplier Manager, all the salesmen, and I looked though all the company information they had been sent by the company. Not only could we not find any mention of having to specify this, but none of the supplier guys had ever heard anything about this before.

The metal company said that you just set the cap on top of the Z strip, and put it on with pop rivets. He said, "that's the way everyone does it." He said that I "would either have to open up what I already had, or buy some more." This is not the first one of these roofs I've put on, and I've never slapped one on top and pop riveted it in place, so no, everyone does not do it like that. Some people even follow directions.

I called his attention to the drawing on the specific page in their own Installation Manual that clearly shows the leg of the Z strip in the not tightly folded hem of the cap. He said he'd check and call back.

I told the guys at the supplier that I'd check back later, and left to get back to doing some work. This is a real building supplier, and not a big box store.

Close to 5 o'clock this afternoon, the salesman at the supplier called back and said that the company would sell me more Hip Cap for half price.

The name of the company is JD Metals

Anyway, this is one company you don't want to deal with. I've used metal roofing from a number of different manufacturers, and it seems to me like the metal all comes from the same place, even comes in the same color names, and even the roll forming seems to be exactly the same, so there is no need to deal with this company.

Unless of course it doesn't matter to you that your high priced standing seam roof, with no exposed fasteners on the rest of it, has a ridge and hip cap just laying on the top held on by pop rivets. Of course, more people want fast and cheap, and it has to be easier to find simple minded, low cost laborers to install it like this, but it's really sad that any manufacturer is stupid enough to recommend this as the way to install it-especially in opposition to their own printed instructions.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-12-2016 at 4:00 PM.

Infuriating situation. But I think you will win,and get the faulty stuff replaced at no charge.

We're not even talking about much money, but I hate wasting my time.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-12-2016 at 5:28 PM.

They have to know they made a mistake but do not want to admit it because then it will cost them a little money. That sort of attitude costs a lot more money than it saves, but unfortunately it still happens. I hope logic prevails in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    We're not even talking about much money, but I hate wasting my time.
    EXACTLY - it's all about my time. I've been known to send an invoice to various companies, charging them my shop rate for the time I wasted trying to straighten something out. I've never collected - but once a supplier gave me a credit for half of what I had invoiced him for (as well as returning the money from my original purchase they screwed up.)

Good luck to you - hopefully your supplier will go to bat for you, without wasting any more of your time.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-12-2016 at 5:28 PM.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Tom, do let us know which company and what to be sure to ask for when ordering. We just had a metal roof installed in a house we own in Chapel Hill and used CMS (Coastal Metal Services I think) and were pleased. We researched several companies, It sounds like yours came from MBCI, one of the largest. The reason I am interested is I am soon replacing my office roof with metal and will have a metal roof installed on my new workshop I have started. Each of the companies that make metal roofs have several styles and types so can be quite bewildering.

Sounds like a form tool/equipment adjustment issue that went right over the front offices head?Good luck with your project.

Finish the project and don't deal with them again..

edited to add company name: JD Metals

First, existing problem. Remind them that materials has to be installed according to man. specs., or warranty is void. They forgot to slip a piece of sheeting into seam before crimping it. MBCI has a rolling mill in Colonial Heights, which is about an hour and half drive from you. Go see them, and cut out the middle man.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 07-12-2016 at 8:11 PM.

I'm going to recommend to my supplier that they switch to them. They didn't like the spot they got caught in either. I have too much to do to spend time on the road, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out when I do go that way. I'm only 15 minutes from 95.

Blog Entries
    I would get the name of the individual that told you to use rivets and write a letter to the VP of Engineering explaining what you were told to do along with photos of the materials in question. I would expect you would get a very rapid response and someone from the factory would call you to assist in resolving your problem.

I have done exactly this on several occasions with amazing results.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The correctly formed hip caps showed up today. Someone in the chain of supply decided that we wouldn't be charged for them. That's all I know about it.