Thread: Blue tape or alternative

Blue tape or alternative

I use blue painters tape to make sure everything is lined up on cutting boards while doing a test run. Does anyone have any alternative methods? Blue tape is expensive and I am looking for a better way of doing it that is cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD LAXTON View Post
    Blue tape is expensive and I am looking for a better way of doing it that is cost effective.
    How much do you use? I get rolls of it at Home Depot for about $3.00 - that's pretty cheap to me.

I think I will have to check there Gary. Some places are $5 - $6.

The price depends on the width, I generally use 1". Here is some on Amazon for less than $4/roll.
    https://www.amazon.com/240180-Releas...+painters+tape

Blog Entries
    Check out Harbor Freight. Their masking tape has a high paper content so the laser deals with it neatly. Not overly tacky either. (personally I love tacky....kitsch is good and fun!) I saw this mentioned on Rabbit Laser USA's web site and it has been a good product for the laser.

Their 1" x 45 yard rolls are about $2 when not on sale.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

It's funny I've never got into the habit of the tape thing, i can get heaps of 2mm clear acrylic
    offcuts and i setup my job, throw on the acrylic, run it, then i can see the whole job
    remove the clear and run the job,
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

I find blue tape to be much less expensive than a Yeti cup or fine hardwood, myself.
    I Second the Harbor Freight motion - it's a waste product that can save your final material if it's an unfamiliar job.

Home Depot has their own 'purple' tape. Cheap and lasers well, but not very tacky- which is good in some cases. Not sure what width's it comes in...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Morning All - When it comes to prechecking positioning on an item 'fore engraving it - I buy, and use,(cheap) panes of glass from our local glass place; generally they cut 'em to 6" or 8" square panes for me. (I'll buy a stack as needed.) Same idea as the clear acrylic idea mentioned above - I engrave on the glass; doesn't harm the item's surface ... works like a charm. Just 'nother idea. - Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

The main thing I use it for is for the crystal bases on the crystal globe sets.
    Most the time the slanted sides aren't even so it really helps to center it. I'm
    surprised companies like JDS don't offer it...
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!