Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minimax CU 300 Smart electrical question

Frank

I know a really good repair guy if this continues to boggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Here's the replacement I got from Amazon.
    Can you believe it? Something made in the USA.

Google the numbers on the switch.
    Lots of suppliers for MM parts. Most from Siemens.

Attachment 340933
    Mike, thanks so much for going through the trouble to get the capacitor out and take the picture. This is even smaller than the original one and should fit in the box perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Frank

I know a really good repair guy if this continues to boggle.
    Mike, I will wait for Erik to chime in and like Jim, I am suspecting it may be the switch. In any case, please pm me your guy's info. I would rather spend my very limited time woodworking instead of machine repair. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Frank, you may be onto something. I did have to replace the rotary switch on my FS-350 J/P a number of years ago when it failed prematurely.
    Jim, I am also suspecting this may be the case and hoping Erik can chime in and shed some light. Did you have the same noise symptoms on your switch when yours broke?

I have finally fixed the jointer / planer motor, so wanted to provide an update in case anyone has a similar problem in the future.

As I suspected, in addition to the capacitor, the main rotary switch (used to select different functions) was broken. So, I ordered the part through SCM, which took 3 weeks to arrive from Italy. Unfortunately, the part that came in was not a direct replacement to the original one. Although, the new switch looks a lot better made. Someone at the SCM technical service provided a wiring diagram for the new switch. It was for a 3-phase machine and mine is 1-phase. I did some testing with the multimeter and figured out the correct configuration. Installed everything back and it works fine now.

Now, I have a new problem that I did not have before. The shaper motor is a lot noisier then before. I know it is the motor and not the rest of the spindle assembly because I tested to make sure. It was not like that before. So, I need to check into that but that can wait for now as I don't need the shaper for my current project. If anyone has any pointers on what to look for I would appreciate. I plan to check the fan to make sure it is freely rotating as I remember hearing that to be a somewhat common problem. I am guessing with uninstall and reinstall the fan may have dislocated. There is no damage to the outside and I set it on foam board during removal. Perhaps just a coincidence, but I definitely did not mishandle the motor during this process.

One of the most painful part of this process was removing and reinstalling the jointer / planer and the shaper motors. The motors are heavy and accessing through the small shaper door made it less than easy. This is clearly one of the compromises of a combination machine, fitting a lot of functionality into a small footprint. I hope I don't have to do this again anytime soon (other than fixing the shaper motor of course!).

Thanks again to all for helping me with this. Great to have this machine up and running again.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 08-15-2016 at 7:10 PM.