Thread: burl bowl turning problem

burl bowl turning problem

I cut part of a burl I got this week..Tried my hand at turning it..It has many voids in it and I'm stuck as to what I should do with it next..If I go to 3/4in thickness it's going to have a huge open area.I have used inlaying material in the past but I think this is too big of a fill in job..I do have some acrylic 2 part gel that I could use to fill but have never done it before..As far as the black on the insides of all the voids and craters in it..Is it best to wash them out somehow?Maybe pressure wash or something??Hopefully the pics will help explain the problem..
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. With a piece of wood like this, about the only thing you can do is to incorperate the voids, bark inclusions, etc and feature them......turn the outside and then take some stretch wrap, tape or something to hold that thing together before finishing the inside.........that thing will have plenty of pucker factor, and has the potential to explode on you, especially with a catch of any sort. Wrap the thing, finish the inside to the thickness you want, hand sand it, then put some finish on it.....some people prize these types of turnings over wood that has none of the voids, etc.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thank you Roger,I'll give that a shot..

The old packaging tape with threads running through it works well. Less stretch the better. Gorilla tape would be one and a mylar packaging tape over that. As little vibration as you can get. Good speed, shallow cuts and slow movement of the tool. Don't force the cut in the wood
    Member Illiana Woodturners

The operation was a success..I used blue painting tape..1000-1200 RPMs finish is going on now will have pics in a couple hours..

Blue painters tape is good to keep from marring the wood, but has very little strength. Best to wrap some filament tape over the blue tape. Filament tape can alone can leave some adhesive that might be a problem, especially on a finished surface.

I did 3 wraps of painters tape top to bottom of bowl.I got the walls down to 1/2 in thick,any thinner it would have had too many holes in it..excuse me...voids..LOL It's not finished yet but does have a couple layers of acrylic and needs to be sanded again in the morning..Here's a few pics. Thanks for the tips and for lookin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You did very well on that very nice piece and sounds like you learned a lot. Like the above buy some filament wrapping tape--much stronger.

Thank you! I do learn a lot every time I come here.I will try some of the filament tape.

Richard you might also try shrink wrap like what they use to for holding boxes on pallets. That is what I use and have never had one explode on me. I will usually wrap it around the piece 10 times or more. You can get the shrink warp at any of the home improvement big boxes or at a shipping and packing store.

Also with the1/2" strapping tape you can say wrap the rim and base with several wraps and still work on a nice area and swap these to work those areas. On some "airey" bowls this is almost necessary. Especially working on the outside of a piece.