Thread: Pressure Treated Lumber for Signs?

Pressure Treated Lumber for Signs?

I have a customer who wants a wooden sign on the cheap. As an alternative to cedar, will pressure treated pine work?

Tony

I'm sure it could work depending on the design (it usually has a texture to it) but as with anything else, "you get what you pay for" certainly applies, I would offer it with a very limited warranty compared to Cedar.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

3. Unless I am mistaken, be careful with the dust from pressure treated wood. I have read that it is bad for you.

A lot of PT wood is soaking wet which might be a problem.

Tony, I agree with what the other guys said, especially regarding the dust. PT wood can contain everything from solvents through heavy metals to arsenic. When working with it, you can get skin rashes wherever you sweat and dust catches like the waist of your pants, tops of your socks and sweat band of your hat. (first hand knowledge of this - had the doctors puzzled for a while). The best you can do apart fro usual masks etc. is clean up as soon as the job is done. Find dry material if you can. Also, can it be painted? Contrary to popular belief, PT wood is supposed to be painted to last its quoted life. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Thanks for the replies... I'll stick with the cedar.