Thread: Taintor Saw Set

Blog Entries

Taintor Saw Set

There's a lot of you using Stanley 42 saw sets. I have two of them. Today, I needed to fix the set on an eight point crosscut saw.
    I was not in the mood for one of the 42's, so I broke out my Taintor.

I had the saw teeth up in a saw vice so I could look down on the saw set and teeth. It was a breeze, the result being a very well
    behaving saw. It only took about five or ten minutes to accomplish.

I'm curious if any of you have and us a Taintor .

No, not me. I use a Millers Falls No.214 instead of my S42. The Tainters are Morrill pattern aren't they, I've always wanted one of those but all I have are pistol-grips.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Taintor made a lot of sets, so it really depends which one you have. The "positive no.7" is the one mentioned most often...I have one and used it for a couple years until I got an eclipse 77. The positive no.7 has a nice small anvil and is good for fine toothed saws, though it is a bit lightweight.

More generally, it's good to remember that there are lots of of usable sets out there besides the 42X, which generally costs a lot more. I'm sure it's worth it, as is the eclipse 77. But if someone is really hard up for cash, they can definitely find a usable set for around $10, make a saw vise for $5 or maybe free, buy a couple files and get in the game for around $20 or so. I did.

Blog Entries
    I also have a Somax saw set as well. I don't know why I don't use it. It has some of the same advantages as the Taintor.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-30-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    No, not me. I use a Millers Falls No.214 instead of my S42. The Tainters are Morrill pattern aren't they, I've always wanted one of those but all I have are pistol-grips.
    There is one listed on the auction site for less than $10.

Blog Entries
    I am straightening my post-Harvey shop. Today, I found my five saw sets.
    I still have the Taintor positive no. 7 set. I am glad to recover it.

I have the Positive #7. Haven't used it, yet.

I did have one for a while but I promptly ditched it when I got ahold of a Stanley 42X. I'm sure I could do an adequate job with either but I'm the type of person who drools over supposedly superior tools that I often can't afford until I eventually get lucky and find one for cheap. Then I subsequently realize that new tool will, in fact, not make me a better woodworker for the most part.

Ultimately the 42X is just more pleasant for me to use and I enjoy the little thingy that clamps down on the saw plate before the plunger hits the tooth. It may be nothing more than peace of mind but that alone is worth a few extra bucks to me.

I got the Taintor #7 that my dad used and used it until the spring broke then used another one I had bought.

Found a Stanley 42 with most of the original sticker left at an antique store yesterday. He had it marked as "Old tool - $10." No idea what it was.

I didn't need it, but it came home anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Found a Stanley 42 with most of the original sticker left at an antique store yesterday. He had it marked as "Old tool - $10." No idea what it was.

I didn't need it, but it came home anyway.
    Been there done that even with there already being a couple in the shop.

Sometimes it seems old rustoholics shouldn't be allowed to wander around with money on their own.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sometimes it seems old rustoholics shouldn't be allowed to wander around with money on their own.

jtk
    LOL!

Hey now...I resemble that remark..

Not sure about the Taintor one....still learning about the Millers Falls 214 one I have.....an early one at that