Thread: variturn Classic lathe

variturn Classic lathe

I am helping a friend that is selling off all his old woodworking equipment and he has asked me for help in pricing things. Most I can come up with a price but he does have a very nice Variturn Classic lathe which I think was made in England. 12" swing and 54" bed. Anybody have a clue what I should tell him it might be worth. I think new they were around $4000 US. Moderators if this is not the place to ask this please move it to the right place!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

I suspect it's going to be a tough sell here. First, does it have their standard spindle with 1 1/2 X 6 tpi? What will be included in the sale? Looks like a chuck with cole jaws off to the left. Looks like there are 2" & 4" risers available from the manufacturer. Is that the I beams under the machine or the bed can be bolted in a lower position and the tailstock can be raised for increased swing? I personally wouldn't be interested in a nice 12" spindle lathe. Couldn't locate a US distributer.

I did a Google search. The original lathe was a Union Graduate or Harrison Union Graduate. I see one for sale on eBay for a very low price but the bidding isn't complete yet.

Apparently a company called LRE has been remanufacturing them for 25 years or so. They go over the lathe entirely, refinish the bed and add an electronic speed control. The range on your picture is less than their website lists, so perhaps it is a bit older.

It appears to be a real heavy-duty lathe. Hard to estimate a reasonable price due to its uniqueness. I saw a year-plus listing on eBay where someone asked $3700 (on Maui) but appeared to get no bids.

Maybe if one was to estimate value you should look at new lathes with similar features. It appears to weigh 550 pounds. Heavy duty. I think that the limiting sales feature is that it only has a 12" swing. Also, although a person could put a riser on it to get more capacity, I read that the motor is a bit undersized. Upsizing the motor and controller is probably a bad idea economically.

I'm wondering what other people might think that a 12" electronic speed control lathe is worth. I'd guess $800-1200 for the right buyer???

BTW, is the 54" bed length the distance from center-to-center (headstock to tailstock centers) or is it the length of the bed ways.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-29-2016 at 8:43 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link. Links to Ebay or any other auction site are prohibited.

My thought is to look at lathes that are comparable to it and price it accordingly. Is it similar to a PM 90 or more modern lathes with variable speeds. 12 inch swing is small but does have a nice outboard setup.

The bottom line would be is he looking for top dollar or looking to move it for a reasonable price?
    Don

Yes, looks like a Union Graduate. I'd price it like a PM 90. I think they are comparable. You might do well to list it on OWWM as well as here. It would be a nice second lathe for someone.

The union graduate is a very highly desirable lathe. Made since the 20's and very heavy built. It also is easy to turn outboard as well to a larger diameter?. If younger I would fight for it.

Yes a quality machine, the Union graduate was Richard Raffan’s bread and butter lathe for a very long time, though his was without the long bed IIRC.

VFD and motor and you’d been set for life, it does turn larger on the outboard side as well.

Was made by Harrison in England.
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 06-30-2016 at 3:47 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Outboard is 18".
    Rebuilt price is $3,194.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 06-30-2016 at 10:07 AM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

As Leo says many famous world turner used this lathe daily. It chould be used with or without the bed attached. There is another optional attachment that replaces the bed and allows bowls to be turned with a swing away curved tail stock. The head stock is quite heavy and able to support heavy blanks by itself. Dick Sing (professional turner) still uses his and had it upgraded to electronic variable speed. Beautiful lathe. One of Sawmill's older posters pick one up cheap at an auction. I would say it is a much better potential bowl lathe than a Powermactic is. No sheet mental in that stand. It is all cast iron.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks all for the advise! When he gets ready to sell I will get him to list it here also. He does have a wide assortment of turning tools, faceplates, two stronghold chucks, live centers and other things we will probably package with it. I know how to value those but was struggling with what the lathe was worth. He has a whole workshop full of nice Powermatic flat woodworking machine also we will be listing. They are all located in Memphis TN. If I didn't already have nice stuff I would probably buy most of it myself. (I am buying a few smaller things)
    Sparky Paessler

Hi, If your friend is not already a member he might want to check with the Midsouth Woodturners Guild for people living in Memphis who might be interested in the stuff he will be selling. You can find them on the web at http://www.midsouthwoodturners.com.

Blog Entries
    I like the curves of that lathe. Very please to look at. Kinda reminds me of the old Delta radio arm saws.