Thread: Job pricing advice marking polypropylene 1" x 4" with text

Job pricing advice marking polypropylene 1" x 4" with text

I need some input regarding price to laser mark. The material is white polypropylene (non PVC) based part, dimensions 1/8" Thick x 5" Wide x 1.5" tall.

My test results on samples provided by customer; CO2 yields poor results with little to no contrast at all. Fiber however yields a decent dark grey contrast with the white background.

Material: White Polypropylene
    Area to mark: 1" tall x 4" wide
    Time to mark: 15 seconds
    Quantity to be marked: 1000
    Feed: Manual

Thanks - John

Too many unknowns to even start guessing a price.
    The things to consider:
    Unpackaging
    loading onto laser - one at a time or in a fixture, can you use multiple fixtures and load one while the other lasers
    Same text on all or variable data?
    One-time job or recurring?
    packaging

Even though it's 15 seconds to laser, all of the above could change the time per part drastically. Calculate the total time per part*qty*(your desired rate) and you should have a starting price. If it seems too low - raise it! There is actual cost/value and perceived value, and the two can be wildly different. You also need to make sure you price it so that when they come back next time you look forward to doing the job (the PITA factor). ie. I have a 1" x 3" plate that I mark on the fiber, it's black painted brass. Takes 1.3 seconds to mark. They bring in 20-30 at a time and I charge $5.75 each. They are very happy and it's a job I look forward to doing every time it comes in - we both win!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    You also need to make sure you price it so that when they come back next time you look forward to doing the job (the PITA factor).
    Great advice, I was told this for my other industry and you will KNOW when you didn't charge enough for a job when it comes up again and you dread it.
    I'm not suggesting gouging your customer, just price it so you can make a dollar and survive in business another day.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Too many unknowns to even start guessing a price.
    The things to consider:
    Unpackaging
    loading onto laser - one at a time or in a fixture, can you use multiple fixtures and load one while the other lasers
    Same text on all or variable data?
    One-time job or recurring?
    packaging

Even though it's 15 seconds to laser, all of the above could change the time per part drastically. Calculate the total time per part*qty*(your desired rate) and you should have a starting price. If it seems too low - raise it! There is actual cost/value and perceived value, and the two can be wildly different. You also need to make sure you price it so that when they come back next time you look forward to doing the job (the PITA factor). ie. I have a 1" x 3" plate that I mark on the fiber, it's black painted brass. Takes 1.3 seconds to mark. They bring in 20-30 at a time and I charge $5.75 each. They are very happy and it's a job I look forward to doing every time it comes in - we both win!

There is no unpackaging, just a box full of 1/8"x1.5"x4" items.
    Single fixture to be used, one at a time marking. 15 seconds each. 3 per minute with 5 seconds per piece for change out.
    Same text, no variation.
    Possibly recurring business for future jobs.
    Packaging, none. Throw all back in box and deliver to customer.

That's close to a full day which at $100/ hour is $800. With no material cost I would probably price the job at $800-1,000 if doing it on my CO2, but your fiber cost more and you need to help pay for it. One at a time would drive me nuts, I would definitely want to make a jig.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I'm guessing you could make a simple fixture to hold 5 of them and save yourself some time. I'd probably make 4 or 5 out of cardboard and load them all up. I bet you could get to where it takes 16 seconds each - total. Otherwise, when it comes time to actually run the job I think you'll find it will take a little longer than you think, maybe not much, but a second or two will add up for 1,000 pieces. I'm with Joe, price it out for a day's work and go from there. Where I don't agree with him is the amount - I get a minimum of $120/hour and I'd target $150 or more for this job.

Jig? all you need is 2 pieces of 1/2 x 6 scrap...

Assuming a 6x6 working area, 5 x 1.5" plates, that's 4 plates at once- just tape 2 pieces of 1/2 x 6 to make a corner, stick 4 plates on and go do something for a minute...
    -slide the done ones into a box, slide 4 more on, push start...

15 seconds per = 4 plates a minute, that's 250 minutes- add 20 to 50 minutes on/off, that's 4-1/2, 5 hours tops to do 1000 parts... @ just $1.50 each = $1500, / 5 hours comes to $300.00 per hour. Go to $2.50 each and you're right up there with lawyers fees at $500.00 per hour...

Me, I'd maybe go $1.75 each, it's great money, and the customer would likely consider that more than fair and won't bother trying to find someone cheaper next time...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-27-2016 at 10:48 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well all that is good info. I sent the bid in, lets see what happens.

I will probably be able to run 3 up at a time which will save a little swap time.

Thanks
    John